chapter 6

Name?:
Grace
Age?:
18
Location?:
Outside nether portal.

Sasha lead the group. I begged her to but after a remark about how i'm not a real guard she shook me off in a huff. I went to try and pledge a case but they were gone. Laurance flashed me a sad smile and grabbed my hand. He gave my head a soft kiss before he lead me into the nether.
"Don't worry my love. I won't let him do anything." He whispered as he lead me. As we passed realms I felt my amulet began to shake before growing very hot.
"Ahh!" I quickly teleported from my spot inside the portal backwards into the area in front of it. In seconds it cooled back down and settled. I was happy once again that i had mastered teleporting.
"Grace?" Laurence had stepped back through the portal once realizing i wasn't on the other side with him.
"My amulet." I pointed to the now slightly burned skin where my amulet hung.
"Can you go?" He asked quietly and after a moment i gave him a weak nod.
"I think." I said softly.
"If it gets to much my love, just tell me." Laurence cupped my cheek and I lightly pecked his lips before grasping his hand once again and walking into the portal.
"What happened?" Sasha asked.
"Nothing major. Just wasn't expecting that feeling so I backed out." I lied as Laurence wrapped an arm around my shoulders and hold me close.
"Well let's hurry." She hummed but I flinched when I caught sight of a shadow knight uniform. Laurance looked where i was and met my eyes.
"Wanna search?" He asked and I nodded softly.
"Hey sasha, me and Grace are gonna go search somewhere else." Laurence called pulling me closer so I could bury my face in his shoulder.
"Grace and i, and please don't. I'm in charge and i need to keep us together." She said and I sulked but followed her.

~~~~~~~

"That's Gene…" my voice escaped me as I saw the black hair and blue eyes. I hadn't seen him since he caught vylad and i speaking. He held a sword to my throat until vylad promised not come back. Ever.
"You know him?" Sasha asked
"We need to leave." My voice hitched as i began to take steps backwards. Sasha nodded and offered to take up the rear.

Before I knew it she was gone. Gene pulled her into the lava. I screamed for her, reached and reached but i couldn't save her. I couldn't save sasha.
We didn't have time to grieve, we kept running. As we ran laurence noticed my staggering.
"Come on love. I cant marry you if you're dead." Laurence whispered and I looked up.
"Is that a proposal?" I asked catching up.
"We can talk about it later. Motive to keep you running with me." He laughed. I smiled but as i did i saw her. Long brown hair pulled half back. Big, wide, brown doe eyes staring at us. She was wearing a longer black and red dress and what i noticed immediately to be an amulet.
"I found her…" I whispered as she mouthed what looked my name. I shot her a look and offered a hand. She took a step forward but we were swarmed by more nights before she could.
"Grace!" I hadn't realized then that I had fallen behind until laurens screamed my name. I bit my lip, knowing if i tried to run that I wouldn't make it but if i teleported the others would find out I have magic. I sighed and closed my eyes, teleporting to Laurence's side. He grabbed my hand and began running until we reached the portal. At the back of my eye sight I met familiar green eyes and i smile softly.

~~~~~~~~

"What was that?" Kenmur screamed at me. Caster held his arm to hold him back as I hung my head.
"My powers…" my voice was shaking.
"You could have saved her…" he hissed and went forward to get at me. I quickly raised the ground around me so he couldn't reach me.
"Don't you think i know that? I wish i could have saved her but i cant teleport multiple people at once." I whispered as I dropped the ground back to its normal position.
"With that im gonna take grace home now." Laurence took my arm and began leasing us to our home.
"By the way. I lives, you have someone to marry now. If that was a proposal then i say yes." I whispered and laurence smiled. He pulled me close and kissed my head.
"Good. I'll find rings for us soon." He whispered as we lapsed into silence that lasted until we reached the house.

~~~~~~

"Well whos gonna be the new head guard? We can't just not have one!" Ullrich huffed. I pulled my knees up to my chest, tucking my skirt under my knees as to not be indecent.
"We should vote." A new guard threw out and laurence tensed up next to me, rubbing his newly bought engagement ring absentmindedly.
"I think we should go with the second in command. That's Laurance." I spoke up.
"Is that truly wise? Not to be harsh but your not an official guard and your his new fiancee. We can't take your words without wondering if it's for your own personal gain to become official." A different, older guard spoke up and I hung my head.
"Well she has a point though. It usually falls to second in command which she pointed out." Ullrich pointed out and Laurence shot him a grateful look.
"He is also lord Joh's adopted son. He would be more dedicated." A different guard points out and I smile softly.
"Well it's settled. Laurence is the new head guard." Ullrich smile at us as laurence took my hand and lead me out into the now frigid air as fall was ending. Meteli didn't get snow but it got very cold.
"We are gonna need to get out coats out of storage." Laurence laughed and wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulling me close.
"Well, mr. Head guard, you ready for those new hours?" I laughed and he huffed sadly.
"I am so not ready for that." He grumbled and kissed my head. I nuzzled closer to him. I could happily live like this. Id always be afraid of big places. That's why I had run. I ran more than twice but those were the only two times it lasted more than a week. My fear of being attacked, of hurting someone with my powers by accident, they sent me running at times.

We had about a month of calm life before Joh was killed. I started to feel the need to run and spent multiple nights on the run but either Laurence would come find me or I would return in the morning. Laurence told me if I ran again for longer then two months he would postpone our engagement. It tamed his worries to know i accepted that but worried me about losing him.

That was until a familiar head of wild red curls and stunning blue eyes ran into town. Scarlet.