Chapter Five

"Luke wait up!" Haley called down the hall, he turned around and smiled to see a face he knew for sure was his best friends.

"Hey Hales, I have a question. Do you know this girl?" He pulled his phone out of his pocket and flipped through until he found the picture he took last night. She glanced over and quickly recognized Brooke's yearbook picture from last year.

"Um, yeah where'd you get that?" She quickly asked.

"This girl visited me at the Rivercourt yesterday and I was curious so I looked her up in the yearbook so I could ask you about her, you're the only person I trust." He said and she felt guilt poor over her for what she was about to say.

"She's your ex girlfriend. Student Council president, captain of the cheerleading team. She probably looks familiar to you, why what can you remember about her?" She asked, worried that Karen's plan to help him was over.

"Nothing, just that she kissed me the other day at the Rivercourt and said she was my girlfriend but I said she was lying and then I left."

"Oh, yeah she still wants to be with you. Maybe she thinks this is her opportunity.." Haley lied, feeling bad because Brooke was her good friend. But she knew this was better for Luke.

"Okay, I guess that makes sense. You're the only person I trust because you're the only one I remember and you're my best friend and your honest unlike most people." He stated and a wave of guilt chilled through her veins. She didn't want to lie to him, but Peyton was a better way of getting his memory back.

The bell rang saying that school was over, and Luke headed to practice. He had to sit out because of his concussion, but what still required to go and watch in case they made new plays. Not that he remembered the old ones..

He walked in and saw Peyton and Haley sitting next to each other in their cheer practice outfits and Brooke on the other side of the cheerleaders smiling to Bevin who was rambling on about something. Peyton waved at Luke and Haley smiled in his direction, but in the corner of his eye he saw Brooke looking at them, then at him with a look similar to the one she had before she started crying at the Rivercourt. He felt something in the pit of his stomach that made him want to go over there and cheer up the brunette, who he found very attractive even though he thought Peyton was too, no matter what he had to do. But he fought the urge and focused on the team and the fact that Peyton was his girlfriend, not that girl.

Nate came over and sat next to him while he got his water bottle out of his bag, and Luke shot him a questioned look. Luke was told Nathan was his brother, so he trusted him and was comfortable talking to him.

"Why does that pretty girl look so upset? From what I was told, she's captain. Shouldn't she be the most cheery one?" Luke wondered aloud to his brother.

He chuckled once before Lucas noticed because Brooke usually is the happiest one, and Luke just called Brooke 'Pretty Girl' and 'Cheery' and didn't even notice it meant anything. "She lost someone close to her," he began but stopped himself because Haley would be mad he's dropping clues.

"Who? Was it someone we know." Luke asked quickly, wondering if it was him and how the girl lost him.

"Not anymore, I don't know all the details. That's all really. But its a shame because she usually is so warm hearted and cheery." Nate laughed again, Luke didn't get it. Nathan's plan to mention Brooke's nickname didn't spark any memories. Damnit, he thought to himself. And got up to resume practice.