CHAPTER xxv

Cole's POV

"Cole, are you okay? Cole? Cole!"

I snapped out of my daze and looked up at my quantum physics teacher, ignoring all my classmates staring at me.

"What?"

"Do you need a moment Mr. Carter? You don't seem to be completely here this morning, feel free to go get a drink of water or something."

I nodded and grabbed my things, I didn't intend on coming back. I had gotten too high before coming to school and it was almost uncomfortable, I couldn't focus.

I was heading towards the senior parking lot when I spotted Onika, her body language was off but I guess that's suspected when your girlfriend is trying to beat a murder charge.

"Aye Nic!"

She turned around completely and offered me a forced half smile. I pulled her into a hug and once she pulled away I noticed the marks on her neck.

"What happened to ya neck?"

"N-Nothing," she stuttered drawing the strings of her hoodie tighter in an attempt to hide what were obviously bruises from being choked.

"What nigga I gotta fuck up?" I asked angrily.

"Umm… It wasn't um.. Have you t-talked to Robyn?"

"Nah we ain't exactly on the best of terms right now," then it donned on me… "Rih put her hands on you didn't she?!"

"I.. No, it was my fault Cole! I promise, I shouldn't have said anything to you and you two wouldn't even be in all this shit," she cried.

I pulled her into my chest, rubbing her back as her tears wet my black sweatshirt. I didn't care about how we looked, everything was falling apart around me and if I could help her out the ruins I would.

"Its not your fault, its my dumbass sister's. All she does is fuck up. I love her but I ain't talking to her no more and honestly… I suggest you do the same."

"How could you say something like that? That's your sister, you gotta love her. I love her," she said looking up at me, mascara running down her face.

I let her go, shaking my head. Onika was entirely too smart to be this dumb.

"She's bad news, Nic. She knows she's bad news. Trust me, focus on school and then college. Love ain't always enough, man. Let her come back to you when she gets her shit together. If she ever gets her shit together."