Chapter 4

Today, 29th of March, 1980 was my first ever performance in front of an audience. My first act was to come out from backstage to the stage pool. I have been taught well that I have to create a humongous splash in the pool, enough to drench the audience.

I was nervous, yet excited. Trainer Emma was standing beside me, and she smiled sweetly.

"And now for the largest killer whale in Muller's Island, James!" exclaimed the presenter.

That was my cue so I glided across to the stage pool and created a splash. The entire audience screamed with delight. I was really happy to see so many people supporting me.

Trainer Emma blew the whistle once and I went to her and she gave me two large fish. I was extremely pleased with myself.

In the second act, I had to to swim around with Trainer Emma on my back. I was very nervous for this because I was afraid that if I did something wrong, Trainer Emma would get upset or maybe even hurt.

Trainer Emma blew the whistle twice and I began the act. I positioned myself beside her and she carefully sat on my back. I ensured that she was comfortable, before I started to swim around the perimeter of the pool with Trainer Emma on my back. I could hear cheers, clapping and whistling, and I was filled with joy as I smoothly glided with Trainer Emma behind me.

Then, I heard a whistle being blown three times so I went back to the dock-like place and gave Trainer Emma room to get off me.

My final act was to do a front flip in the air, something I was extremely agitated to do. This act is quite frightening, and needs a very brave soul to be able to flip in the air!

As all this ran through my head, I heard Trainer Emma whisper, "Good luck, Jamie!"

I screeched lovingly and slowly went to the middle of the stage pool. I took a deep breath and launched into the air. I did a 360 degree flip and landed very smoothly in the pool. The audience became louder than ever. I could hear a big round of applause as I went back to my pool. After I reached, Trainer Emma was already there with a bucket of fish. She gave me five fish and said, "Great job on your debut, James!"

Once again, I was exhausted. I had done brilliantly on my first performance, if I do say so myself. I enjoyed doing today's show and couldn't wait till my next one...