Redemption

The whole hospital room was silent save for Steven's soft snoring, and the occasional grunt in his nightmare that bounced off the sterile blinding white walls, the lights off and the blinking stars of New York City outside the open window, where soft winds blew in like a draft. Ana laid stagnant in the hospital bed beside the chair he was sprawled across, her chest without movement and the usual rise and fall of every other living being. Her eyes were closed peacefully, as if she was only sleeping, and her hands were laid at her sides, pale and lifeless. Her brunette waves were like a pool around her head on the white pillow, slight strays lining her forehead, her cheeks without their usual uplifting rose color. 

                                   Steven gasped awake, eyes wide as sweat beaded down the side of his face, breathing heavily as he sat straight up, looking around frantically. He had had the usual nightmare; the spear piercing Ana's body all over again, the life leaving her. His heart wrenched at the mere thought of it, and he squinted, his eyes raw from the crying he'd done the past two days. He had insisted they keep her inside a New York Hospital room, his false hopes for her to come back the only fuel he had had the last days to keep going. His eyes caught Ana's still form, and he slouched back down again, running a trembling hand through his unruly hair coated with sweat. He inhaled sharply, his voice shaky as he attempted to speak, silvery teal eyes glassy.

                                    " I know I've already said this, but I'll say it again, and again, and again, until you come back. I'm..." He paused, looking away as a silent sob overcame him, free falling tears striking down his face. " I'm sorry, Ana. I said I would protect you, I swore it, and here you are. De-, dea-, dead." His voice broke on the last word, and he buried his face in his hands, letting the pain and the guilt and the rage and every other emotion he felt spill, gasping for air as his body racked with sobs, and he looked up again, eyes bloodshot. Ana hadn't moved. He didn't expect her to, anyway. He had been told she wouldn't come back, that it was too late, nothing he could do. Christine had tried to help him, and he had pushed her away like he had before, and now he was alone with his pain.

                                    Clambering to his feet, he walked over to the side of her bed, just standing silently as the wind continued to whistle around him, the cool air beating his face. Bending down, he placed his lips to her forehead softly, lingering there for a moment before pulling away, that warm feeling in his chest beating before it dissipated again, leaving his heart empty and cold. He gripped her pale and cold hand tightly in his, rubbing it between both of his as he prayed for a miracle, prayed for her to come back, hope the only thing on his mind. The only sound was his breathing and the absence of Ana's, and he slowly let go, his fingers brushing past hers as he brought his hands to his sides, staring down at her with pain and regret, before turning to leave, his footsteps echoing in the silence. He stopped at the doorway, and looked back, but she still didn't move. If only there was a way to bring her back. A way to make good all the promises he made. 

                                  Then it hit him; what if he could?