EIGHT

"What are you thinking about in that pretty little head of yours?"

"Just stuff. I don't know, I think I'm ready to let you meet Isaiah" Carrie laid in her boyfriend's arms, snuggled up to his side with her leg over his.

"Really?"

Carrie shrugged her shoulders. "I mean no, but it's not fair to you to keep him from you. I told you a couple months and it's been three. You deserve to get to know him, you've done nothing but prove to me you do."

Carrie pulled the sheet up higher over her naked body as a chill went up it. The couple had spent the afternoon laying in bed and talking after sex waiting for Isaiah to come home, something they did often.

"I don't want to make you do something you're not ready to do." Mike said, rubbing her back.

"I just don't want everything to change. As soon as he finds out about you, everything will be different for the rest of his life. It won't just be the two of us anymore and I'm not sure I'm ready to give that up yet." Carrie sighed. "But I know that's not fair to you. You've been so patient, you deserve to get to know him. He's your son, I shouldn't even be able to keep him from you like this."

"It's okay, I understand. I can wait, it's okay. I want you to be ready."

"I just don't know how to tell him. I mean, it's always just been the two of us. To him, you basically don't exist. He doesn't know what life with two parents is like. I can't decide how he's going to react to this. Part of me thinks he's going to be excited, but the other half of me is afraid he's not going to want to get to know you. All he knows is that you left me, and he's not really happy with you for that because he knows you hurt me. I don't know if I can explain that we're back together to him." Carrie explained.

"We can tell him together if you want. Or you can introduce him to me and let him get to know me before we tell him who I am." Mike suggested.

"No, no. I have to tell him myself. It'll be better if I tell him and then he meets you. It's too overwhelming if he gets to know you first and then all of the sudden we say hey this man is your father." Carrie sat up, clutching the sheet over her chest.

"Whatever you think is best. I'll do whatever you need me to do." Mike smiled, kissing her forehead.

"I'll tell him tonight. Tomorrow is Saturday so maybe we can all go to lunch?"

"That sounds great." He grinned. "I can't wait."

"He's going to be shy. Tomorrow is probably going to be really awkward, but just bare with him and he'll open up to you eventually. As soon as you mention hockey, he'll most likely come out of his shell." Carrie said nervously.

"Just be careful with him please, he's my baby." For some reason, tears started to well up in Carrie's eyes as she talked.

"Hey, why are you crying?" Mike frowned as he wiped a fallen tear from Carrie's face.

Carrie shrugged her shoulders, laughing at herself. "I don't know."

"It's just a lot to take in. I'm still not used to us even being together." Carrie sniffled, wiping her face off. "I'm sorry."

"Shh, don't apologize." Mike pulled the blonde into his embrace, stroking her hair to calm her down.

"We don't have to do this yet if you're not ready, it's okay. I can wait as long as you need to." Mike said, looking into her tear filled eyes.

"No, no, we need to do this. You both deserve to know each other, it's okay. I'm just being selfish." Carrie let out a laugh.

"This will be good for all of us, I promise." He cupped her face and planted a slow kiss on her forehead.

"I know."  Carrie smiled through her tears, nodding her head as to convince herself. "I know."

"I love you." Mike kissed her softly, still cupping her tear stained face.

"I love you too." Carrie almost whispered, letting her forehead rest against her boyfriends.

"As much as I don't want you to leave, you can't be here when Isaiah gets here. Especially not naked." Carrie laughed, breaking away from Mike to get out of bed.

The two picked their clothes up off the ground, getting dressed and going downstairs.

"I'm going to talk to Isaiah tonight at dinner. I'll call you later, but plan on lunch tomorrow, okay?" Carrie said, fiddling with his hand at the door.

"Got it." Mike smiled. He lifted her chin up with his pointer finger and kissed her softly. "It'll be good, I promise. Don't worry."

Carrie nodded her head, not wanting to say anything in fear that she might start to cry again. She didn't know why she was even so emotional, she was just nervous. She knew everything would change once Mike came into their lives and she didn't think she was ready. A part of her was still afraid that he would hurt her again, or hurt Isaiah. Neither of them could go through that again.

"See you tomorrow, love you." Mike kissed her once more.

"Love you too." Carrie forced a smile to her face, watching him leave. Once he was gone, Carrie shut the door and let out a big sigh.

She could only hope this went as well as Mike thought it would.