NINE

"I want to talk to you about something." Carrie said, sitting the book she'd just finished reading down on her son's nightstand.

"What?"

"Well." Carrie started, taking a deep breath. She bit her lip, thinking for a moment before speaking. "Your dad is back in town, and he wants to meet you."

Isaiah was silent for a minute. Carrie looked down and watched her son think.

"But he hurt you, he left us." He finally said quietly. "He makes you cry, I don't like him."

Carrie was stumped. How was she supposed to explain this one?

"He did hurt me, but that was a long time ago babe. Sometimes people mess up, but you have to forgive them, right?"

"But I like it just the two of us." Isaiah muttered. "You always say it's just me and you against the world."

"Sweetheart it will always be me and you against the world. Nobody's ever going to change that." Carrie took her son's hand and looked him in the eyes. "Your dad just wants to get to know you, he wants to be a part of your life."

"Is he nice?"

"Mhmm. He's a really great person, I think you'll like him." Carrie said, putting her arm around her son.

"But what if he doesn't like me?"

"Honey, I don't think anyone could not like you. You're his son, he already loves you and I know he's going to love you even more once he gets to know you." Carrie assured him. "You're a lot like him,  you look like him too."

"I do?" Isaiah asked curiously.

"You do! You look more and more like him every day."

"Is that a good thing?"

"Yes, that's a very good thing." Carrie laughed. "I think you'll like him."

"Do you like him?"

"Yes I do. He'll always have a special place in my heart. And he gave me you, which is the greatest gift in the world." Carrie poked Isaiah and smiled.

"Do I have to call him Dad?"

"No, you can call him Mike. Whatever you feel comfortable with." Carrie pushed the blonde hair out of his face. "Do you want to meet him? He wants to take you to lunch tomorrow. But if you don't want to, it's okay. I'm not going to make you do anything you don't want to do."

Isaiah let his head fall against Carrie's chest, snuggling into her. Carrie wrapped her arm around him, stroking his short blonde hair.

"Do I have to go by myself?"

"Of course not. I'll be right there beside you if you want me to." Carrie said, sinking down into his bed more.

"Okay, I'll go." He sighed.

"It'll be good, I promise." Carrie kissed the top of his head, pulling him closer. "Are you ready for bed?"