Chapter One: What Did I Get Myself Into

A loud bang echoes through the dark alley louder than any thunder I've heard before. I begin doubting myself as I make my way down the supposed short cut home. Due to my college English class running late, I am now stuck in the middle of a thunder and lightning storm. Making my way further down the urine scented alleyway, I try to keep my distance from the damp crumbling walls, afraid of the diseases lingering on them. Peering through the night down the long narrow passage, I am able to make out a man. He is around six feet tall with a muscular frame. Stepping closer to better my view, it becomes clear to me that he is towering above a smaller man, a small object in his hand. From the dank garbage container I am crouching behind, I am not able to decipher the words being spoken. However, from the way he is pacing with his arms crossed, it is obvious that whatever words the two are exchanging, he is not happy about them. He begins to vigorously shake his hands in an exasperating way. As he does, the glowing light of the full moon catches the cool metal he is holding. Seeing the object, my blood runs cold. The muscular man is now pointing a pistol, point blank, towards the smaller gentleman.

A small yelp escapes from my dry throat at the horrific sight before me. Slapping a shaking hand onto my traitorous lips, I silently beg to remain unheard. I watch cautiously as the stranger cocks his head to the side. Upon hearing no other disrupting sounds, he begins to refocus his attention. This is my chance to back away unnoticed. Stepping lightly backwards, I slowly begin to move away from his line of sight. I am so close to freedom now, only a foot or so away. I will make it. Or so I think. With my last step, my foot slips out from under me. My body's impact on the ground is harsh and unnerving. Looking up from the grimy pavement, I search for the culprit of my untimely downfall. I can only roll my eyes and mumble the words, "Only me." Unfortunately, I slipped on a single banana peel. Gazing towards the sky, I can only imagine the words that will no doubt be etched onto my gravestone: Here lies Anabelle Storm, the only girl who could possibly trip over a banana peel. Raising my head slightly, I look toward where the two men had been only to find the smaller one nowhere to be seen while the tall one is now facing me. A slight grin dances across his rugged face giving his eyes a slight twinkle.

*Picture is of Kaiden