Chapter Four: Meeting the Beast

Hearing another growl behind me, I know I am running out of time to escape. Reaching the doors, I begin to push with all my might, only to fail. Taking a quick look behind me I step back and look at the door. Grasping the handle, I pull the doors open easily allowing me to run through them, just in time. I make a beeline for the only place I can go, the forest. I go for the first opening I can find, pushing through the think underbrush before I am able to reach a path.  After running for what seems like hours I slow my pace, silently thanking my mom for making me do track all throughout high school.

Looking around the dark forest, I only see the magnificent sugar maple and white oak trees holding blue jays and cardinals as they chirp cheerfully. The crisp maple and oak leaves crumble under my heavy feet. The sweet smell of maple wafts through my nose and settles the uneasy feeling inside my stomach. Glancing ahead of me, I notice a flash of smoky grey fur to the left of me near a grove of white oak trees. Curious, I begin to steer myself in the direction of the movement.

Everything is quiet in the forest now, and the only sound is my breath as I walk closer to the grove. Beams of light shine through the leaves giving the grove a magical aura. Reaching the grove, I stop and gaze lustfully at the unreal sight in front of my eyes.

Inside the grove sits a pond glistening like silver in the afternoon sun. Fallen maple trees layered in deep mossy green algae was spread throughout the body of water. The water is tinted slightly blue but is so crystal clear I can make out the rocky bottom of the pond perfectly. Looking closer, I can see an array of fish in the pond varying from dark grey catfish with elongated whiskers to beautifully multi-colored rainbow trout. Smiling widely, I loosen my shoelaces, slipping off my muddy Converses, and strip out of my socks before eagerly gliding my feet into the sandy beach bed, dipping my big toe into the smooth pool of water. Feeling the cool water caress my toes, a shiver runs down my spine, making me pull my foot back in shock. Stumbling over my own two feet, I fall back upon the crisp crimson colored leaves. Closing my eyes, I bask in the glory of the afternoon sun letting my body soak in the warmth cast upon me. The harsh snap of a twig catches my attention causing me to lurch upward from the crusty dirt floor in alarm. Swiveling my head in all directions, I try to find where the sound came from when alas my eyes land on the bold creature.

Fear clouds my mind and I begin to regret my decision to follow my curiosity to this grove. After all, curiosity killed the cat, didn't it? Backing away from the beast, I slowly lift my hands out palms first in a show of submission. It is covered from prickly tail to calloused paw in a soft milky white coat. The legs are long, lean, and muscular providing definition and tone. From its hunched shoulders onward, the massive animal turns a smoky grey tone heightening its broad shoulders giving a sense of enlargement. One thing that catches my eye the most about the brute is its eyes; they pierce into my soul with their calculating stare. Flecks of gold dance inside the swimming pits of darkness. The only concentration at that moment was the dark storm that rolled through those sharp eyes. The beast's ears perk up slightly moving my attention away from the strikingly familiar eyes.

* Picture is of Kaiden as a Wolf