9

I looked at my reflection unsurely. What had I been thinking, letting Snape pick out my dress? I felt overdressed... yet at once underdressed. There was so much more skin showing than I would have allowed ordinarily. Surely, I'd trip on the fabric and make a fool of myself. I ran a hand through my hair, and sat at the vanity, tying it up in a series of twists and braids. I put in my hairclip from the wedding, as it matched the dress fairly well, and put on my diamond earrings. After lightly applying some eyeliner and lipstick, I eyed myself in the mirror.

There was something missing. What was it?

I heard a knock at my door, approaching it nervously. Would he approve? Wait, why did I care?

I opened it slowly, coming face to face with a dashing Professor Snape. "Miss Granger." He said.

I forced myself to make eye contact and smiled shyly. "Good evening, sir."

He squinted and raised an eyebrow. Before I could ask, he motioned for me to follow him through his office and into his personal chambers. I felt as though I were walking into a secret. The room held so much information on the man who'd mysteriously come back to life. He had me sit in an armchair, as he stepped into the wardrobe and opened a small box, pulling out a necklace.

He asked me to stand, stood behind me and fastened the chain, allowing the solitaire diamond to rest upon my chest. It was magnificent. I turned to face him, as the tiniest of smiles appeared at the corner of his lips. "Your outfit was missing something."

I bit my lip and fingered the pendant. "Sir, it's beautiful." I said, looking back up at him.

Something flashed in his eyes, before he offered me his arm, and escorted me to the Entrance Hall for the ball. The room was bustling with activity, but a soon as we entered, all eyes were on us. Dare I say it, on me. I let out a sigh of relief when I realised I wasn't overdressed in the least. Everyone was decked out to the nines.

Before heading down to the main area, Snape leaned over to speak into my ear. "I won't let you fall, don't worry." I focused my gaze on his cravat as he spoke. It was slightly crooked.

I fixed it, tucking it in properly, before looking up at him. "What of your leg, Professor?"

He waved off my concern and led me into the room, to mingle with the other guests. There were not only the war heroes and professors present. There was the great majority of the ministry, the students had all been given permission to attend with their families. Light music tickled the air, playing throughout the space. I couldn't help but tighten my grip on my escort's arm when I noticed all the eyes on me. "I can't do this." I whispered.

He shook his head. "Of course you can. It's just a celebratory ball in honour of the castle and its inhabitants. You're by far the most beautiful woman here, quit fretting."

My face turned rosy at his comment did he really think I was beautiful? I caught a glimpse of familiar red hair and cringed. I didn't want him to see me. When I saw his date, I felt much better about my instructor's choice in clothing. Lavender was practically hanging off his arm, her pale purple dress looked trashy and inappropriate. Snape noticed my attention was elsewhere and smirked. I could have sworn he mumbled something along the lines of; "Dunderhead."

Ron's eyes met mine and turned disbelieving. He came towards me, leaving Lavender to chase after him. I turned to the Potions' Master and fiddled with my fingers. I wasn't ready to face the boy I'd nearly married. He placed a hand on mine, and I looked up. The intimidating man gazed into my eyes. "You're fine. He's just realising he's made a massive error. Clearly." I raised an eyebrow in question, a nasty habit I'd contracted from working by his side. The man's mannerisms were contagious. "How many kinds of idiotic must a man be to let a witch like you slip through his fingers."