First Light

Floating lanterns and Pixie lights danced in front of my bedroom window as the Elune light festival had come to an end. I could hear the gentle whispers from the spirit wisps guide my mind into a trance of the peace I desperately needed. My long Silver hair fell at my hips, curling around my back whilst I lay upon my wooden bed; it's lavender sheets lined in a dancing gold ribbon.

I tilted my glowing silver eyes to the creak behind my bedroom door, the loud pound on my door made me jolt up from my daze and brush the lingering strands of hair from my eyes away.

"You may enter..." I spoke proudly, standing to flatten my silk robe, while I trimmed the wisteria stitching.

"Melithar Nighthelm... I thought I'd only see you in spirit." I'd known that low, husky voice since I was an elfling, feeling the smirk of his face made me turn quickly to look upon the male Night-Elf.

"Emerain!" I screeched, the glow in my silver eyes grew brighter. "You're home!" I picked my robe up with my hands, padding my small feet on the wooden floor quickly as I grappled onto my friend's chest, squeezing him close as he gasped for air.

He let out a hearty laughed through tight breaths, pulling me back by my shoulders as we stared into each other's gleaming eyes. "How've you been all these years?"

"It's been wonderful!" I gleamed in his presence. "But it's been awfully boring without someone to ride with."

Stepping back from his grasp, I walked to the small table and chair set in front of my window and took a seat, watching Emerain do the same. "Finally I have someone to tell..." I spoke lightly, closing the windows shut.

His face went serious, I could sense his mind racing. "Mel, what's going on?" He rested his large arms on the small wooden table, as I did.

"It's the bats in Ban' Ethil Hollow, right down the road of the village."

He narrowed his brows. "Yes, what about them?"

"They're turning," I cringed. "Green."

Rain sat back, his brows furrowed and his ears twitched. "Green? Are you serious?"

I sat up, my eyes went bright again, "You mean you don't believe me?" I scowled and stood up, pulling off my robe to reveal the leather armor and plates. I then walked over to my closet and, behind all my clothes, pulled out and slung my bow and arrows over my shoulder. "Fine, I'll show you."

I could see the surprised look on his face. "Melithar, you've become a Darnassian Archer since I'm gone?"

I chuckled, taking the dagger from my table. "Well, you learn a thing or three when you have a friend who guards Tyrande Whisperwind." I chuckled, winking at him. I held the blade up to my eyes, tilting it and held it back to throw. "Besides, guarding the High Priestess of Elune must be a pretty tricky job, no?" My hand threw back and sent the blade flying out through my window and into the target beyond the tree of the inn.

Taking a step back when I turned my gaze back to Emerain, he chuckled and clapped his hands together. "Thero'shan, an impressive job for an apprentice." He clenched his teeth, mocking me.

I scoffed. "Apprentice... you still think I am a child." A frown formed upon my lips.

He shook his head and placed his hand around my shoulder, walking off to my door. "So, let's get down to business and knock out a couple of these green-bats, eh?" He chuckled, waving to a few commoners who stood around the elegant wooden staircase, as I stood beside him and we turned out the large archway to the saber grove.

The sabers all laid around sleeping by the pond while Lókî sat by the children and let them ride on his back. When I whistled to his command his ears twitched and yawned, scratching his valiant paws against the soft tree and licked his long canines. Flicking his tail, the spotted saber walked by my side.

"Darnassian saber..." I smirked, stroking Lókî's large head with my small delicate hands. "Emerain, meet Lókî, the newest member to the Nighthelm grove."

Rain picked up his large hand and scratched the saber's shoulders while I grabbed his blanket and plates to ride. I placed his plum blanket on his back, sitting the leather saddle on top of it and strapped them on with the breastplates.

I sighed and wiped my hands, "Well that should do it, Emerain, go on and get your saber." With my command, he walked off and retrieved Nolass from the post. I've always been a nervous rider since I attained Lókî, but I did my best to keep my fears in the back of my head around Rain. He was either serious or fun, not much in between. I held my ground and placed my left hand on the pommel and my right hand on the cantle, sliding my right leg over to be seated on the saber's back. Every time Lókî flinched or moved his muscles I could feel it under my thighs, it made me shiver.

Lókî and I walked out to the center of the inn, while Emerain stood idle waiting for us on top of his armored veritable black war saber. He waved his hand to me, a smirk on his tattooed face.

"Shall we begin?"