Beyond the Veil

We were on our own now.

        Silently, the flame rose from my eyes and showered to my hands and jittered through my blood.

"Lókî," I called. "Let's go home..."

       I spoke with a weak smile, grazing my fingers from his shoulders to the pommel of the saddle and swung my leg over, sitting low with my chest against the saddle- I hadn't an idea of what creature had targeted my village, and I needn't find out yet.

        We avoided the open areas, staying in the outskirts of the forest, while Stags and their calves ran beside us in escape from the blazing temples. My eyes were glowing a bright light, guiding my gaze along the dark trees and brush.

"Slow here, Lókî, halt and wait for my signal. Aye?" In response, he snarled and flicked his tail, sitting idly behind a crisp tree.

        I pulled out the blades from my legs, moving swiftly crouched along the outskirts. It stung my eyes and caught my breath by its hair to watch the valiant arches and sacred rune totems simmer into the grass like dust, making my adrenaline charge and steam as I pushed my legs until they ached.

I scanned the scene closely, but my heart skipped beats whilst watching the inn, my home; it's arched and exquisite woodwork cripple and collapse, causing a trickle of water from my eyes to stream.

"I need to fix this," I looked to Lókî. "For the balance of nature." He chuffed and nodded, scraping his paws on the soft mud in encouragement.

Then I looked back on my task, ultimately losing hope once again.

"But how? I can't just go out and kill everything in sight. What if someone was hiding something? What If they are looking for me?"

I started to panic, losing self-control and started talking to myself. "Melithar, halt yourself, you're being ridiculous, no one is looking for you and no one is on death row-" Right?

"Am I sure about this?" I started to tremble. "Yes-" I turned to go. "Absolutely not-" I turned back. "Uhh..." I looked around, desperate for aid.

The crack of a stick in the forest echoed, making me jump and load my bow in the amount of time I lost my breath.

"I'm warning you. Don't come any closer." My voice tightened as the shadow grew larger. "I said get back!" I lashed my loaded bow through the air. "I'll shoot, don't test me beast!"

Silence fell upon the setting.

"Well, I don't think that's a very nice thing to call an old friend now, Melithar..." I could recognize the husky, sarcastic voice.

"You." I narrowed my eyes, giving a devilish smirk. "I ought to bloody murder you!" I punched his arm again, putting my arrow back in the quarrel and my bow slung over my chest.

"What are you doing here?" My tone returned low and serious.

"Ah, how could I?" Emrain nodded. "Leave the only place I could ever call home? And turn my back on the only she-elf who hadn't done the same?" He pointed his blade at me, twisting it back into the sheath.

"Emrain, what am I gonna do? The wisps, they spoke to me, told me I had to restore the balance in nature. What kind of command is that?" I spoke frantically.

Emrain placed his large hands on my shoulders, staring at me closely.

"Just go out there and bloody kill whatever's out there, aye?" He shoved my shoulder lightly and took my small hand, squeezing it slightly and pulled out his blade.

Hesitantly, I let go and pulled out my bow, breaking into a sprint from the cover of the forest and broke free of my chain against the tree. Nearing the burning village even closer, I could feel the heat sensation tingle my skin.

These monsters were nothing like I've ever seen before. The first I'd approach the smallest, a floating rock creature, being held together by an electric green force. I halted my stance while the creature bolted together a ball of green light. Before he fully charged, I sleeked a wooden arrow from the quarrel on my back, sliding the nock on the string, and placed my fingers on the shaft, sliding my wrist back to my cheek and lined the arrow-head in between the middle of the target's eyes.

"Don't miss," Emrain whispered.

"I never miss."

I released my fingers to a perfectly lined arrow. It darted past Emrain's shoulder, breaking through the stone wall across the demon's face and shattered into bits and pieces. Cracking the stone erupted a green light, as it evaporated to an orb. I lowered my shivering bow, retrieving my arrow from the few yards it carried.

"What have we gotten ourselves into?"