six

Kass

I don't know how Sasha and Melanie came to know each other, but the two are nothing alike. Sasha is sweet and caring whereas Melanie is a bitch. She's bullied Laney nearly as long as Laney's lived here.

The truck rattles down the rough road leading to the diner. Laney isn't a huge fan of pizza and that's why I chose to bring Sasha to Pizza Palace. I know Laney and I aren't together. Believe me, I know. She's made that glaringly clear. But maybe Sasha and I can be. She'll never be Laney, but I like her and she's been really nice. Plus, I don't mind watching her shake those hips.

Pizza Palace is a seat-yourself type of restaurant, so we head straight for a booth in the back. It's a little darker back here and there aren't as many people. I slide in the booth and Sasha slides in beside me. It's a little strange that she doesn't sit across from me. This is our first date together, and I figured it'd be more like an inquisition than a scoot-close-and-cuddle type of date. But I can definitely adjust.

"What can I get you guys?" the waitress asks.

We give her our drink order, and I order a large pepperoni pizza while Sasha orders a salad. Great, she's one of those girls. Laney can put away a double meat burger then move on to eat some of her fries. Shit, I'm doing it again.

"So, Sasha, where did you move here from?"

"Houston," she replies, "but I don't want to talk about where I came from."

I nod my head, and Sasha steers the conversation from there. The date actually goes really well and now, dropping her off at her house, I'm a little sad it's over.

She turns to face me when we get to her door, dropping my hand.

"I had a great time tonight." She smiles shyly, but I haven't gotten the impression she's shy at all tonight.

"Me, too," I reveal, and she latches one finger in my belt loop, pulling me close.

Her smile grows as she stands on her toes to brush her lips against mine. The kiss is over almost as soon as it started. It felt okay; there was nothing wrong with it, but it just didn't seem right. Laney flashes through my mind and I smile one more time at Sasha.

"Call me," Sasha calls out as I descend the porch steps to her house.

I don't say anything in response to her; I climb back in the cab of my truck and take a look around Sasha's front yard. There is a single car sitting in front of her house other than mine, and it looks like a car that comes with a driver. I drive around her circle drive and head for the wrought-iron fence in front. It's kind of ridiculous how rich her parents are.

I could tell Sasha was a little put off by the appearance of my truck when I picked her up tonight. She wiped the look from her face the second I stepped out of the vehicle and I let it slide. I love my truck. It may not be the prettiest thing out there, but my dad and I completely rebuilt the engine on our own. I smile just thinking about the early days when I had no clue what I was doing.

I turn the corner to my street and see Laney sitting on the porch swing in front of her house with a book. She looks up when she hears my truck rumble by. I hop out of the truck and turn to go over and talk to her but she's gone, leaving the porch swing swinging back and forth as if she left in a hurry. I sigh.

Will I ever understand the opposite sex?

Walking through the front door of my house, I get my answer. My mom is standing on a ladder, swatting at something in the air with a duster while my dad stands below, telling her she's crazy.

"There's nothing there, Hon," he concludes, crossing his arms and tilting his head to the side.

Her tongue sticks out of the side of her mouth, just as it does every time she is concentrating. "I... almost..." The ladder teeters and she falls. Dad and I run to catch her, but only one of us makes it in time. She smiles up at my father. "Got it."

He shakes his head and puts her back on her feet. It hurts to look at the smile on his face. The love they have for each other is unwavering and so strong. That is how I thought I felt about Laney, but I guess it wasn't mutual.

"What did you get?" he asks her, holding in a laugh.

"That damn cobweb that's been floating around every time the air conditioning turns on."

Dad loses it. His laughter rings off the walls and he bends over, holding his stomach, before his look turns to mock anger. "You mean you risked your life to get a damn cobweb?"

Mom rolls her eyes. "Don't be dramatic. My life wasn't in danger." She pats his chest. "I know my big, strong man is here to save me," she chides in her baby voice, and he scowls.

Shaking my head, I head for the stairs leading up to my room.

"You guys are ridiculous," I call over my shoulder, and they both laugh.