twelve

Laney

I told the new kid, Simon, we could study together after school today but at the moment, I'm regretting that decision. He keeps talking to me and distracting me from watching Kass. He plays football like no other player I've ever seen. It's like an art form the way he sends the ball spiraling through the air.

"I still don't understand why the answer is fifty-two," Simon grates for the third time.

I sigh, hoping he doesn't notice, and turn to give him my full attention. I explain the problem again, for the fourth time. Simon works on the problem, and I stop him halfway through.

"No, the six goes here." I point to where he made the mistake on his paper. "That might be why you're getting a different answer."

He nods and finishes the problem. "Thanks."

I return my attention to the practice on the field. All of the players have their eyes trained on Sasha bending over on the sidelines "stretching." All except one. Kass has his gaze trained on Simon, and nothing about his expression is friendly.

First, Simon is into guys. Second, no man could ever amount to half the man Kass is to me. He's the perfect boyfriend, and I wouldn't trade him for anyone. I am so happy we have made it past terrible dates and the friend zone.

The coach blows the whistle and while all the other players run for the water, Kass runs for the stands. He jumps over the fence and runs up the steps to where I sit with Simon. I stand abruptly, my smile matching the wide one on his face. Simon says something from below me on the bleachers, but I don't hear a thing.

My heart beats erratically, and it's as if I can feel the blood speeding through my veins. I thought the feelings would go away after a while, but they've only intensified each and every time Kass's attention is trained on me.

Kass places his glove-covered hands on either side of my face and pulls me in for a kiss. I back away the moment I realize this is one of his sloppy kisses; I love them, but they're messy. His arms wrap around me and he pulls me up so my feet aren't touching the ground. Putting me down, he pulls away from my cheek, leaving it covered in his saliva. I groan and wipe my cheek on my shirt sleeve.

"'Sup," Kass greets Simon with a nod.

Simon shakes his head and laughs, so Kass plants one more kiss on my cheek before running back onto the field.

"Why can't gay guys look like him?" Simon sighs.

I laugh and pat him on the shoulder. "Oh I'm sure there are plenty that do, you just haven't met them yet."

"Figures," he mutters under his breath before shuffling his papers around, looking for the next problem that's been giving him hell.