twenty

Kass

Laney stands with my parents as the ship docks and lets us out; her face is nearly completely healed. I run from the boat right to her, scooping her up in my arms. Her body stiffens, so I loosen my grip, hoping I didn't hurt her. Maybe she's still a little sore. I spin her around, and she yells my name. It's a tad less playful than I expected, so I put her down before hugging my mom and dad. I missed all of them this weekend; it has me a little worried for next fall.

My dad carries my bag even though I am fully capable. Mom chatters along, asking question after question about the cruise. She worked several overtime shifts to make sure we could afford it, and I thank her several times.

"It was a blast. Geo and I tormented everyone on the boat." I give her a huge smile.

"You boys better not have gotten into any trouble," she admonishes, and Laney snorts from behind her.

Laney's been distant this whole time, keeping away from the three of us, staying several feet behind us. I turn to look at her, but she avoids making eye contact. I don't want to get into anything with her in front of my parents, so I leave it be for now.

The drive home isn't much better. Laney and I sit in the back seat, but she stays as far away from me as she can. I can't figure out what could possibly have happened to put such a wedge between us while I was gone. If she's this mad, why did she even come to pick me up? I notice my mom smiling broadly in the rearview mirror, and I know exactly why she came. Whatever is going on, she doesn't want them to know.

"I'll be in soon," I tell my parents as we all get out of the car. "I'm going to walk Laney to her house." She only lives next door, but this is nothing new for me. I always walk her to her door and give her a kiss before returning home.

"What's going on?" I implore, jogging to catch up to her.

She stops and turns, and I nearly run her over.

"You and Sasha," she barks.

I rear back. "What?"

Laney fishes in her purse for a moment, muttering in frustration as she struggles to find what she's looking for. Finally, she pulls out her cell phone and shoves it in my face.

I'm staring at a picture of me, sitting at a table in the bar on the cruise ship. Sasha is in my lap, her lips firmly placed on mine. That's what the fucking flash was that night.

"I can explain," I tell her, holding my hands up.

Her eyes widen. "So it really happened? You really kissed her?"

I start shaking my head vigorously, and she backs away. "I was completely wasted. She was on my lap for maybe a second, and the moment her lips touched mine, I reared back and knocked us both on the floor. Look," I lift my shirt and turn so she can see my side, "I landed on a pool ball when I fell."

Laney stares at the bruise marring my back for a moment. Her shoulders fall, deflated.

"I didn't want to believe it."

I move closer, hoping she doesn't back up again. Placing my hands on her face, I feel her tremble. She looks up at me when I pull at her chin.

"No one will ever be you. No one will ever have my heart like you do. I promise, I will never get that drunk again, and I promise nothing happened that night. Nothing other than her putting her lips on mine and me pulling back. I would never do anything to hurt you. Never."

Laney leans in, and I wrap my arms around her tightly as she cries into my chest. I hate what Sasha has done to her, what she's done to us. This is the last straw.