thirteen

Kass

It's taken us over a year to get to the point in our relationship where it's deeper than friendship. Having Laney but not really having her was complete torture. She's everything to me and until now, I couldn't even show her.

"Hey, Laney, Kass," the hostess greets as we enter, the bell ringing loudly above us.

"Hey, Sam," Laney acknowledges, and I give my usual head nod.

We seat ourselves at our usual table and Judy, our usual waitress, stops by to take our usual order. We've been coming here several times a week after school for the past year, and they all treat us like family. Well, everyone but Melanie.

"Hey, Kass," Melanie calls as she sidles up to the table.

I give her a head nod just like I did Sam, but I don't smile. Her hangnail catches on the fabric of my sleeve when she runs her finger down my bicep. I slide away from her touch, being cautious not to make the movement terribly obvious.

"Why are you here with her?" she spits.

"Because Laney is an amazing girl, and any guy would be lucky to call her his. I just hope she decides that guy is me."

"What about Sasha?" she asks.

"What about Sasha?" I quip. "She and I have been over for a while."

Melanie huffs, then stomps away from our table.

Laney looks up at me, a smile on her reddened face. "Thank you," she insists just before Judy returns to our table with our food.

***

"Where to now?" Laney asks after we finish our meal.

"I thought we'd take a walk and get some ice cream," I offer, taking her hand in mine.

Laney smiles up at me and then looks down at her dress. "At least I'm not wearing white," she quips.

I bark out a laugh. "Yeah. I promise I won't leave you stranded if you spill all over yourself this time."

"I nearly cried on the sidewalk that night in front of that Mexican food restaurant."

"I didn't know we were standing in front of a building that would have ample amounts of napkins." Laney laughs at me. "I was trying to be a gentleman and get you napkins from the ice cream shop."

She laughs even harder. "A gentleman?"

"Yes," I declare with confidence.

She bumps her shoulder into mine. "It wasn't that bad. We stayed friends afterward."

I shrug my shoulders. "I don't know about that. I was on a date with a girl who couldn't even get ice cream in her mouth."

Laney shoves me off the sidewalk. "It was your fault!"

I run back up to her, pulling her into my arms. Her feet barely touch the ground as I hold her close to me, face to face.

"I'm doing much better tonight."

Her cheeks turn a light pink as she smiles softly. "You might even get a kiss this time." Her body drags down mine as I release her from my hold.

A year ago, I was stuck in the friend zone. Now, we're on an amazing date. I'm happy for the time we spent as friends; it's what allows us to be ourselves around one another, giving us a natural progression into full-on girlfriend-boyfriend zone.

I wouldn't change a thing.

Not the blue balls after every weekend we'd spent together.

Not the dreams of one day getting my dream girl.

Not even being stuck in the friend zone for over a year.