seven

Laney

Renee looks up from across from me, and her eyes widen before she tries to hide it.

"What?" I ask.

"Oh, nothing," she responds in a sing-song voice. Oh, nothing my ass.

I turn in my seat and Renee cringes. I narrow my eyes at her before looking over the back of our booth.

Walking through the door, hand in hand, are Sasha and Kass. They're walking so close together, I can't see any space between them. I grit my teeth and turn around, shrugging my shoulders like I don't care.

"Oh no," Renee whisper-yells, and I glare at her. "They're coming over here."

"Shit," I exclaim without thinking.

"Hey," Kass greets cheerfully then looks to Renee. "Where's Geo?"

She glares at him. "I'm not his keeper." Kass holds up his hands, dropping Sasha's hand for a moment, but my hopes are squashed as his hand goes right back to hers afterward. Hopes are squashed? What's wrong with me? I turned him down. What the hell was I thinking?

"Oh, guys, this is Sasha. Sasha, this is Laney and Renee."

Sasha smiles sweetly, but it drips with fakeness. "Nice to meet you two." She tugs on Kass's arm. "I think our table is ready," she coaxes, and Kass turns to us.

"We could all share a table, right?"

The waitress sets our food on the table. "We were just leaving." I cringe like I'm sorry it happened, and Renee's head jerks to face me, her eyes wide and staring at the steaming food on our plates. "Can we get some to-go boxes and the check?" I ask the waitress, and she looks at me like I'm insane.

"Sure," the waitress concedes.

Kass looks a little confused. "But you just—"

Sasha tugs on his arm again. "They said they're leaving, sweetie."

Kass's lips thin into a line. "Right." He looks down at Sasha and smiles before looking back to us. "See you guys later." Then they walk off.

"What the hell was that?" Renee asks. "I'm starving."

I sigh. "I can't sit at the same table with them and watch them fawn all over each other. It's gross."

"Uh-huh. Sure it is." She taps her chin with her pointer finger. "Although, you don't seem to have a problem when Geo and—"

"Don't," I grit, knowing exactly where she's going with this. "We'll go eat at the park."

"Fine. But if a single fry blows away, I'll never forgive you."

I laugh. "Okay, fatty," I tell her, and she scowls. Renee is easily the smallest person in our class. She's short and tiny but eats just like Geo, and he's a linebacker.