five

Laney

I hadn't expected to be pulled into the fold with Kass and his friends, Geo and Renee, but they'd latched on to me the moment school started. I have a few classes with Renee, and the four of us have the same lunch period.

"So are y'all going to the party Friday night?" Renee asks Kass and me. She always asks us questions as if we are a couple and the only way we do things is together. I've explained to her that we tried that but it was a disaster, so we've mutually decided to remain friends. She doesn't believe me.

Kass shrugs. "Whose party?"

Renee winces. "The new girl."

"So Melanie will be there?" I ask.

Geo shrugs. "She might be, but supposedly, the new girl is loaded and has a huge house, so we may not even see her."

"I don't know..." I drag it out like I'm undecided.

The new girl, Sasha, walks by our table and smiles seductively at Kass.

"We should go," Kass affirms to the table, and Renee glances behind her to see Sasha walking down to the lower level of the cafeteria. She turns back around and looks at me.

"We should all go," Renee challenges, staring me down.

"I'm not really big on parties," I begin, but I stop when the point of Renee's boot connects with my shin. "Ow," I growl in her direction.

She smiles and sits up. "It's settled then. We'll all go to the party. Kass, you should drive Laney since she doesn't have a car and you live next door to each other, anyway."

"Sure," Kass agrees with a mouthful of mashed potatoes.

***

Who was it that said maybe we should give Sasha a chance? Maybe she's not like Melanie? Well, they were utterly wrong. I've already spilled two drinks on myself after she purposely bumped into me. Now? She's dancing provocatively in the living room, catching the stares of every male here, except Geo, of course. He and Renee went upstairs as soon as we crossed the threshold.

Kass has stayed by my side for most of the evening, but I'm beginning to feel like a third wheel even though it's just the two of us—well, him, me, and his eyes glued to Sasha's ass.

A month ago, he was asking me on a date and now, he's drooling over some other girl. Thank goodness I decided we should just stay friends; otherwise, he'd probably be contemplating cheating right about now.

"I'm gonna go get another," I say to him, holding up my red plastic cup. He doesn't acknowledge I've even said a word, so I head off in the direction of the kegs.

The beer at these things is severely watered down and tastes like piss, but there's a bucket full of ice and water sitting next to the keg. Most parties don't have water available. For a split second, I mentally thank Sasha for thinking of those of us who don't like beer, then I chastise myself for thanking the girl trying to take my man.

Shit.

He's not my man.

It's all my fault.

I toss the cup in the trash can and turn for the front of the house. I'll either ask Kass to take me home or I'll walk the few miles home. But when I look down at my flip-flops, I have second thoughts.

The living room is packed with people, and I go directly to the pool table Kass had been leaning on when I left to get a drink. He's not there.

"Kass?" I call but get no response.

I walk around aimlessly for a moment before stopping at the foot of the stairs. He's not anywhere downstairs, which means he can only be upstairs. I shudder thinking of what I might walk into.

A door opens just as I am up high enough to see over the last step. Dark red hooker heels walk backward out of the room, followed closely by a pair of shoes I've seen almost as often as I've seen my own shoes. I glide my eyes up to see Sasha standing close to Kass, whispering in his ear. He has a smile I've never seen on his face before. I turn and run down the steps. I don't need a fucking ride. I hate exercise, but I'd hate to interrupt whatever the hell he's been doing with Sasha more.