~ Chapter 2

**Maddie’s POV**

“Ready to go?” I ask, poking my head into the room Fred and Teddy share.

“Yep,” Fred says excitedly, “let’s go!”

“All the other kids are in the car,” George says, “ready boys?”

“Yes!” Teddy says, picking up his trunk in one hand and taking my hand in the other.

“Carmen, are you ready?” I call. She walks out of her room, tears in her eyes.

“Sweetheart!” I cry, dropping onto one knee and holding out my arms. She runs into them and throws her arms around me.

“I’m scared, Mum,” she whispers.

“It’s okay,” I sooth her, “you’ll have Fred and Teddy with you.”

“I know, but I won’t have you! And I won’t have Dad.”

I hold her close.

“Sweetie, you can send us owls whenever you want and we’ll write to you lots,” I tell her, “you’ll be so busy having fun you won’t time to miss us.”

“And I can come home for Christmas if I want to, right?”

“Of course,” I say, “and we’ll be at the station to pick you up.”

She nods and wipes her eyes.

“Let’s go,” I say, taking her hand and Teddy’s again. George picks up her trunk and we walk out to the car together. George heads to the driver’s side, but I grab his arm.

“No way,” I tell him, “I’m driving.”

“I have my licence!” he protests.

“You confounded the instructor three times!” I remind him, “you are not driving through London with all of our children in the car until you can pass the test properly.”

Grumbling he climbs in the passenger seat.

“Everyone buckled in?” I ask, poking my head in the sliding door. There’s Alithea, Carmen, Fred and Teddy across the back seat, Olivia, Simon, Paul and Laurence in the middle and Fiona, Jessica, William and Lucy in the seat in front of them.

“Room for one more,” George chuckles. I roll my eyes and pull out of the yard.

We run into traffic as we enter London. The younger kids are starting to get restless.