~ Chapter 22

**Maddie’s POV**

“Mum?” Arianwen sits down at my feet, “are you okay?”

“Tired,” I tell her, “I just can’t seem to find the energy for anything.”

“Do you want me to get Daddy?” she asks, standing up. I shake my head slowly.

“I’m alright, I didn’t sleep well last night,” I reply, standing up, “Uncle Fred, Auntie Steph and Isaac are coming for dinner tonight. What do you think we should make?”

“How about pasta bake?”

We walk into the kitchen and I start peeling potatoes while Arianwen mixes the sauce.

“Have you got everything ready for school?” I ask, “got all your books packed?”

“Yeah, but I’ve read them all,” she sighs, “I wish I could do my NEWTs this year.”

“I know, but we decided to keep you in your year so you’re with your cousins, remember?”

She nods and puts the bowl of finished sauce on the table. I flick my wand and watch the potatoes slice up and dip into the sauce.

“Mum, can you tell me a story about when you were my age?” Arianwen asks.

“When I was sixteen…” I think for a minute, “gosh, that was before your father and I started dating. My Dad had just broken out of prison, the Triwizard tournament was being held at Hogwarts… Oh, and Daddy was being drugged with love potions…”

“Really?” Arianwen’s eyes light up like they do whenever she learns something new, “what happened?”

I laugh at her eagerness and begin telling her the story while the pasta bake cooks. She listens with rapt attention, giving me her complete focus.

“And things were a bit rocky, but here we are,” I finish, “and there’s the doorbell.”

Ari runs off down the hall and returns a moment later with Stephanie and Isaac.

“Have you finished reading our books yet?” she’s asking.

“No, why would I read in the holidays?” Isaac asks.

“Why don’t you two play a board game?” I suggest. Stephanie sits down at the table.

“Those two are polar opposites,” she laughs, “Arianwen has become quiet the little beauty. I didn’t think any of the cousins could give Olivia a run for her money, but Ari definitely will.”

“Olivia always knew she was beautiful, though,” I say, “Arianwen is too busy reading books to look in a mirror.”