Chapter 10

When I went home that day, I went upstairs to put my bag down and I went down into our basement to retrieve the things that I would need to paint.

At school, I had decided that I was going to paint a picture of a cat and give it to Liam. I remember that he said that he wanted to paint a picture of a cat because he loved cats. After getting the equipment and tools, I brought them to the spare room that was rarely used and set them up. I brought out the paints that I will need and began painting.

I was painting for half an hour, when I heard the door opening. My mom stepped through the door.

"Hey sweetie. What are you doing?" She asks as she steps closer to me.

"I'm painting a picture." I respond and continue with my work.

"Okay. Is it for class?"

"No. I'm painting it for a friend." I reply.

"Oh, that's nice." She steps beside me to look at the painting. "Is that a cat?"

"Yeah. He likes cats." I supply.

"He? So it's a boy?" She lifts her eyebrows at me. I nod. "Who is this boy? Do I know him?"

"Yes, you met him once. He was the boy that I was doing the assignment with. He doesn't really talk to people and he stays by himself, like all the time. I recently befriended him, trying to break him out of his shell. He's still to himself most times though." I explain.

"Do you like this boy?" She asks out of the blue. I stop what I was doing and look at her.

"What? Mom, no. Why would you ask that?" I ask incredulously.

"Honey, you are painting a picture for a boy you barely know. You like him." She said, like she had just made a great discovery.

"Mom, I'm just painting a picture for my friend who likes cats. There is nothing else to it." I said.

"Mhmm," Mom hums, as she began to walk away from me. "Anyway, I came to tell you that dinner is in fifteen minutes." She adds as she left the room. Shaking my head at my mom's weird theory, I went back to work.

Five minutes later, I wasn't finished, but I put up the things that I was using and my half finish painting and went upstairs to my room to wash up for dinner. When I came back down, I saw that my dad was home from work and was sitting at the table.

"Hi Dad." I said.

"Hey sweetheart." He smiles. "Now that you are here, I need to tell you something. I'm leaving for another business trip again on Wednesday."

"Again? But you went on one and just got back two weeks ago." I said as I sat down at the table.

"I know, but some new business is coming in and they want all the employees there to conduct some marketing." He explains.

I sigh, "I really wish you didn't have to go Dad."

"I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you," He looks at me and sighs. "I promise things won't be like this for much longer, okay?"

"Okay." I said quietly.

"Come on, cheer up. You know I hate to see you sad." He teases and puts on a sad face.

I laugh, "Okay. But seriously though, it's okay. I understand that you have to go. I know you Dad, you would have found a way out if you could."

"That's my baby girl. Thank you." he smiles at me. "This is why you are my favourite daughter."

I laugh again and roll my eyes. "I'm your only daughter, Dad." I said and he laughs. I got up from the table. "I'm going to see if Mom wants any help."

When I went into the kitchen, I saw that Mom was just about to bring the food out. I went over to the counter and took up a plate as well and bring it out to the dinning room. As soon as everything was out and the table was set, we sat down to eat.

----------

I had finished painting the picture for Liam, the following day after school. Today was now Wednesday and I was at school with the painting of the cat rolled up and placed in my backpack.

I did not see Liam since morning, but I knew that I would see him in English class. After lunch, I went to my locker to exchange my books and head to class.

For some reason, I was nervous to give him the picture. Which was weird because I was never nervous. I was a confident girl, but I was somehow nervous when I was around him.

When I entered the classroom, he was not there as yet. I went and sat down beside the seat that he normally sits. A few minutes later, I saw Liam entering the classroom. He came and sat beside me in his original seat.

"Hi," I whispered, giving him a smile.

"Hi." He said.

I took a deep breath. "I have something for you." He looks at me confused. I smile again and went into my bag for the rolled up picture. I unroll it and spread it out on his desk. "I painted a cat for you." I look up at him, awaiting his reaction.

"You painted a picture for me?" He asks after a while. He voice was filled with shock.

"Yes. Do you like it?"

"Why did you paint a picture for me?" He asks, finally looking around at me.

"You told me you like cats and you wanted to paint a picture of a cat in art class. You couldn't paint it, so I decided to paint one for you. So you can keep for yourself." I explain. He was still looking at me. "What is it? You don't like it?" I ask nervously. Okay, maybe I should not have painted a picture for him.

A smile came onto his face and he looks at the picture again. "Of course I like it. It's amazing." He looks back at me. "It's just that, no one has ever gone out of their way to do something for me before. Only my mother. You are really something."

I feel my face began to heat up and I laugh to try and hide it. "So I've been told. Also, I don't mind, you're my friend after all."

"I've never had a friend before." He said simply.

I smile at him. "Well consider me your friend."

He nods his head and return my smile with a small one of his own. "Thank you for the picture, Julia."

"It was not a problem." I smile widely.

Not another word was exchanged, because the teacher walks into the classroom then. Liam rolled up the painting and put it in his bag as class began.

****************************
A/N: Hey guys! I hope you like this chapter and you enjoy reading my story. If you do, please vote and comment.

Next chapter will be up soon. I promise.

~Alecia