VII. You're Back

What'd you think when he came back?

I don't remember.

Ha! Yeah right!

Fine. I thought maybe it was fate.

+++

"Woah! Woah! Not dead! Come on! Come on!" Glenn yelled frantically as the man appeared immediately pointing a gun at his temple.

Following the plan I proceeded to fire at the damaged geeks on their trail. Not noticing I was helping the man joined in and fired with what seemed to be a Beretta.

"What are you doing!? She's got it! Come on!" Glenn yelled pulling his arm.

Only then did the man look up and make eye contact with me. Only for a split second, but as he did I felt my heart stop.

"It can't be..." I whispered to myself before reality shut in.

Snapping out of my daze I fired two more rounds until I could see, out of the corner of my eye, Glenn safely make it to his destination. Both men climbed up the latter until they reached the check point.

Assuming they stopped for a break I slouched my shoulders and relaxed. Glenn's plan had succeeded. No one was hurt and everything was okay. At least I think it was.

Clicking the safety on my desert eagle I easily slid it back into my holster.

Standing up I cautiously walked over to the latter and looked down. Past Glenn and the man to the geek frenzy below them. All the hungry monsters desperately trying to get a hold of them.

"It wasn't my intention," the man mumbled.

"Yea, whatever. Yeehaw. You're still a dumbass," Glenn spat.

"Rick. Thanks."

A tear dropped from the corner of my eye as he spoke. It was him. He was here. He was alive.

Dropping to my knees I covered my mouth to hold in my sobs. My hands frantically shoke as I thought of him. The good times. The bad times. Everything.

"The bright side: it'll be the fall that kills us. I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy," Glenn said before footsteps could be heard coming up the latter.

I quickly began to wipe my eyes to get rid of any sign that tears had left my eyes recently. Sniffing I stood up and dusted off my jeans.

"Mission accomplished," Glenn said as he reached the roof.

I stayed silent and turned away from the men. All I wanted to do was hide away, but there was no way I could escape this situation.

Biting my lip I finally turned their way.

"Good job," I forcefully smiled.

Glenn nodded and turned towards Rick.

"This is Rick. Rick this is Ama," Glenn introduced us.

I turned to him and plastered a fake smile. He stood shocked in front of me. The same blue eyes, same greased back brown hair, and same police uniform that i've grown accustomed to.