Chapter 26- Are We In This Together or Not?

Sunday, January 29th 10:45am

Swisher Park Playground

While Jamie talked to the kids, Korbin followed the guys that were beaten to make sure they left and wouldn't be back. By the time he got to the first one Jamie had dealt with, the guy was starting to come around. Korbin could tell because even though his eyes weren't open he was just starting to groan. Korbin gave him a light kick to help him wake up before hauling him to his feet. It took a moment for the guy to get his feet under him. When he finally seemed to be coming around he whined in a panicked voice, "Help me. I don't know what happened. A mugger must have attacked me."

Korbin shook his head in disgust as he started marching the guy out of the area. He used a low voice to tell exactly what he expected, "You'll leave the park. If you ever come back, I'll make sure everybody knows how a small girl made you cry like a baby."

After Korbin shoved him through the gate the bully stumbled for several steps before turning defiantly and said, "I don't want to be around that psycho bitch anyway."

When Korbin glared and only took one step before the guy turned and ran away. He managed to trip over a bench and roll a few feet. When he got back up he managed a limping run out of the park. Korbin shook his head and turned back to the kids and Jamie. Korbin watched Jamie putting up posters while the kids followed her around like little ducklings. As he got closer, he noticed that the back of her black shirt looked damp and stuck to her back. When she stretched, she winced, and he suddenly remembered her casual comment about road rash. Her lack of concern had convinced him it wasn't a big deal, but now he wasn't so sure. He headed over for a closer look and to give her a hand. As he got closer he heard Hayden asking about the signs.

"My family and I are starting a new dojo. We hope to have enough people sign up to start classes next week when the gym officially opens," Jamie answered.

"You are a dojo master?" asked Kayden.

"I will be the one teaching most of the classes," Jamie agreed.

"We are going to join the classes," bragged Keesha.

"If you get classes, we want to them too," announced Hayden.

"If your parents agree they can call to arrange lessons," Jamie reassured him.

"We want lessons with them," declared Hayden as he pointed at Keesha and Ketara, causing his sisters to blush and smile.

"Yeah," said Kayden.

"If your parents agree," said Jamie firmly. They rolled their eyes, but this time they accepted her answer. After that, they helped put up the rest of the posters.

Korbin didn't say a word, but took a good portion of the posters as soon as he reached them. With them all helping, putting up the posters didn't take very long. They were just finishing when Korbin spotted a lady walking across the park carrying drinks in both of her hands. He nudged Jamie and nodded in her direction.

Hayden confirmed that the lady was their nanny by saying, "I hope she got my drink right this time."

Kayden nodded and groused, "Why can't she remember that we like rootbeer?"

When the nanny arrived Hayden and Kayden talked Jamie out of a poster before they went into great detail about their adventure. They spent a great deal of time bragging about hitting the "doo-doo head" with rocks and how they evaded capture, but got most of the story correct. Korbin noticed that the nanny didn't seem surprised or concerned. When he turned to Jamie he saw her frowning at the nanny.  He was probably frowning too. The boys had been left far too long on their own for their age. It was no wonder they had been entranced with the idea of martial arts if this was how people hired to take care of them acted.