Chapter 28

I stormed up into the flat and slammed the door behind me, waking Aaron with a start.

"Oh, Lu, you made me jump." Aaron said with a look of relief. "Where were you anyway?"

I stood examining him in silence. Studying every inch of his badly bruised face. Not one hint of just a little guilt, how could he not tell me? I thought to myself. I have to confront him. He isn't going to tell me otherwise.

"How could you not tell me!" I tried to shout but it came out in a whisper.

The smile on Aaron's face immediately disappeared and I saw he was gritting his teeth.

"Lu." He said rather sternly, causing me to jump. "You better not have went to see Luke."

"And what if I did!" I demanded. "I wanted him to apologise, he really hurt you." I began to get angrier.

"Did he hurt you?." Aaron said limping over to me. I remained stationary. I am not the one in the wrong.

"Lucy!" He demanded checking my arms and face for any noticeable wounds. "Did he hurt you." He said, his eyebrows knitting together in a frown.

"No he didn't touch me. I'm fine, it's you who hurt me." I squeaked, tears beginning to sting in my eyes. The last thing I needed to do right now was cry.

Aaron tilted my chin up and wiped the stray tear from my cheek. I would have flushed bright red at the sudden contact with him if I weren't so angry and upset.

"He told you didn't he." Aaron began. His eyes boring into mine.

"That doesn't matter." I declared, pushing him away from me. "What matters is that you didn't." I glared at him, confidently, holding my breath to try and fight the tears.

"No I didn't..." Aaron replied, looking at the ground clenching his fists. "You were just starting to move on and be happy." He said to the floor.

"You don't know me Aaron." I replied. "I could never be truly happy again after I lost Mark....living with the guilt for the rest of my life. Every time I smile or laugh. I am disgusted with myself. How can I be happy when Mark's dead? The only person who was always there. Despite our arguments."

Suddenly, Aaron had me pinned to the wall and I was unable to move. He pressed his forehead against mine and whispered "It isn't your fault. Don't listen to anyone else. It's not your fault.." I nodded, scared to disagree at this point. I was scared and vulnerable with Aaron standing over me.

He dropped his hand from the wall and sat back down on the couch with his head in his hands.