Fifteen-paper Trail

"Local Teen Mystery Hunting Duo Solves Another Supernatural Case." I read off if the front page of the Gravity Rises Gossiper, the town newspaper which was rarely accurate. Grazing through the article, however, I decided that it had done a particularly good job reporting on Gideon and I.

"Mabel. I didn't take you to be the newspaper reading type." Ford commented as he walked into the kitchen. Panicking, I dropped the paper.

"I'm not! I mean..." I stared at Ford as I scrambled to come up with a good lie. "I noticed a grammatical error?" Ford sighed bitterly.

"Illiterate fools..." He shook his head. "At least you're pretty smart, kiddo." He patted my head  and sat down across from me. Melody placed a plate of scrambled eggs and bacon in front of him and he thanked her before grabbing a piece of bacon and the newspaper. He looked at the front page for about ten seconds before he spat out the bite of bacon.

"Grunkle Ford?" I asked. He lowered the paper and I looked questioningly into his narrowed eyes.

"I retract my previous statement."

"What?" I asked after about a minute. Ford turned the paper around and I realized why he was upset instantly. The picture to accompany the article was one of Gideon and I at work.

"Mabel, what is the meaning of this?"

"Grunkle Ford, I-" He stood up, and I did the same.

"Completely ignoring my plea to not go looking for trouble, looking for trouble repeatedly with Gideon Northwest, someone whom I've told you not to associate with," Every time he emphasized a word he took a step forward, forcing me to take a step back until I was standing up against the wall. "Mabel, are you even listening to me?" I snapped out of it.

"What?"

"I said go to your room!" Suddenly filled with rage, I kicked Ford in the shin before running into the attic.

I'd been upstairs for about an hour when Melody knocked on the door.

"Mabes? Can I come in?" I rolled over and faced the wall.

"Fine." She opened the door and closed it behind her. I heard her footsteps as she crossed the room and sat on the empty bed meant for Dipper.

"Mr. Pines might be mad, but, I think what you're doing is pretty cool." I rolled over again.

"Really?"

"Yeah. I wish I had the guts to fight monsters and stuff like you do. And besides..." Melody looked at her feet.

"Besides what?" I sat up.

"Well... Mr. Pines may say that he doesn't believe in the supernatural, but he does. That's why he's even here in the first place! He has several PhDs in studying monsters and stuff!" I was shocked. And mad.

"So you mean Ford's known all along that there were monsters and stuff here but he outright lied to me?" I stood up angrily.

"Mabel it's not like that!" Melody looked down at her feet. "Here in  Gravity Rises, weird things happen. People go missing. People forget things. People change."

"So? What's that supposed to mean?" I asked. Melody stood up.
"It means be careful. I don't want something bad to happen to you." She wrapped her arms around me. The entire day, her words rang through my head.

People change.