Chapter Twelve

"And one of His signs is that He has created for you, spouses from amongst yourselves so that you might take comfort in them and He has placed between you, love and mercy. In this there is surely evidence (of the truth) for the people who carefully think." (Surah 30, Verse 21)

Adnan's POV

The day I've been dreading is finally here. The day I'm going to get married. The day when I'll have to live with her for God knows how long. The day which brings lots of buried memories crashing to the surface wanting to burst in excitement. Trying to remind me of things I've lost and I'll never get back. The memories of her. It should be her that I'm spending a life with. It should be her that I'll be eager to meet. But because destiny has its own sick ways,because it thinks playing with my feelings for its amusement is worth my pain that it took her away from me. I don't think I'll ever love again and I really feel sorry for Bambi because I'm not the guy for her. She deserves someone much better than me. Someone who'd appreciate her unearthly beauty. Someone who'd stare into her eyes and see his world. Someone who'd knees would fall weak just because of her smile. I don't deserve her. And not lying to myself,I know that I'll never be that guy. I know that I won't treat her right,the way she deserves. She deserves to be treated like a Queen because she is. Too bad she isn't my Queen and will never be.

I snapped out of my thoughts as we arrived at the mosque. It's a Friday so after the Friday prayer, the wedding would be finalized. I came out of Waleed's Benz and we made our way to the entrance of the mosque. In his words 'Today's your day,so I'll pamper you.' Like hell I need pampering. I just want out but there's nothing I can do. We went inside the National Mosque and sat at the front row. The khutbah(sermon) was ongoing and we listened intently. I looked around for Abba and some of my relatives that came all the way from Adamawa just to witness my so called wedding but I didn't see them. Maybe they're running late.

The khutbah was concluded and it was time for prayer. I noticed Abba at the far corner of the mosque. I didn't even notice when he came.

The prayer was concluded and the time I dreaded the most came. People had started going out. The Imam called for their attention. He arranged his cap and started to speak.

"Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barkatuh." When everyone chorused the response,he continued. "We're gathered here today on this blessed Friday to join in matrimony Adnan Muhammad Nur and Ikram Sa'eed." Shouts of 'Allahu Akbar' echoed in the mosque. "I call on the groom and his guardian to come forward." I stood up slowly with all eyes on me and sat close to the Imam. I could see Abba from the corner of my eye coming forward also. Someone wake me from this nightmare.

After Abba was seated. The Imam called on the representative of the bride which was Alhaji Sa'eed her father and asked if he has accepted the proposal. With a smile on his face he replied with the affirmative. Then the Imam turned to the audience and asked if they've witnessed and they all chorused yes. The Imam turned to me with a smile on his face and finalised the wedding.

"May Allah(S.W.T) bless your marriage. May He provide you with righteous offsprings that will be raised into the Deen of Islam." The Imam prayed. I whispered an Ameen while the audience shouted Ameen. Everyone stood up and was congratulating me.

"Mabrook mabrook Adnan. Allah ya sanya alheri." That's how it continued till I got out of the mosque with Waleed beside me. The sun shone in all its glory. I looked above and squinted my eyes shut at the blazing Sun above me. Maybe this is a good sign?

I took out my phone and sent Bambi a short text. It's official. And put my phone back in my pocket.

Waleed looked over at me and smirked. "Officially a groom." I punched his shoulders lightly and said. "I still can't believe it."