2. Irritated

Tally

"Perseus, you're dead.So dead. And Oh, did I mention you're dead?"

My brother Percy leaned against the wall, his lips turned up in a smile. "Now now,Thallidmyde, keep your temper."

I started slightly; I hated that name.My mom Sally looked over from where our old car was parked, an anxious expression in her eyes.I waved once slightly to re-assure her, then turned back to Percy.

"You do know that this is your fault." I hissed at him.

"You're the one who couldn't control herself." He shot back. "This is your..what, third year here? Longer than I could keep a school, anyway." Percy chuckled. Then his face darkened slightly. "  this would be best for you anyway."

I swallowed slightly when he said that, brushing one of my curly brown ringlets out of my face. A laugh built up in my throat. "I practically rule this place now."

"Yeah, because you're a temperamental little git who can't control her temper." Percy said snarkily to me. I felt my face blush slightly red and scooped up my bag that was lying at my converse clad feet. I threw one of the straps over my shoulder and wrenched open the small gate that was the back entrance, the gate only the...experienced used.I stalked through the gateway and walked quickly across the blacktop. I heard Percy curse in ancient Greek and start after me, so I made my strides wider and faster, half running on the blacktop now. "Tally, I'm sorry!"Percy called after me. I sped up, so I was flat out running.

"Thallidmyde Arian Jackson, get back here!" Percy yelled, and I felt my face going scarlet. I turned around to see Percy quickly striding towards me.He stopped by my side and put an arm around my waist. I stayed stiff for a while then leaned into his side, putting my arms around his waist."Oh Perce, I'm going to miss you so much!"I moaned. Percy gave my head a small pat.Then He pressed something into my pocket, and I let one arm fall to my side, to check it. I felt the familiar cap of my silver ballpoint pen. "Thanks Perce." I whispered. Percy grinned. "I know mom said you're not allowed weapons after what happened with the china cab net, but I snuck it in. I don't like just seeing it there at home. I want to make you feel...safe." I nodded, touched moisture in my eyes, then pulled away from Percy. "I have to go get my timetables and dorm assignments and stuff. You have to come with me, to sign me in." Percy tilted his head slightly in the direction of the main office."I believe we're going that way." He said, and I nodded in agreement. We made our way past the main gates and I noticed a new girl. Nothing special.Probably gone at the end of the month. You have to be tough to survive that school.

When we got the the office, the secretary, a middle aged woman with platinum blond hair and bad make up eyed me with apprehension. "You back again? You need to sign her in." She said, looking at Percy and passing him a sheet. He signed it in his scribbly writing with one quick flourish and gave me another one armed hug. "I'll come down from New York for a weekend sometime, okay?" He said. The secretary coughed."How touching."She said sarcastically, passing me my brown envelope.Percy gave me one more wave and sloped off.I clawed open the flap of the envelope with my stubby bitten nails and pulled out the sheet. Class 12-B.Nice. Room assignment: room 20, fourth floor.Yes! Everyone knew that the most decent rooms, the rooms with a view of the river, were on the fourth floor. I strolled towards the staircase and pounded up the stairs to my room. "I wonder who I'm going to be sharing with?" I mused aloud.