19. History

Rennie

Carlie laughed a beautiful silvery laugh that made me think of bells as she entered a room on the third floor.

"This is my father's room," she explained, sitting down at a large piano.

"Your father?" I repeated, surprised.  There was no humans here....other than me, of course.  Then it dawned on me.  "Your father's a vampire?" She nodded.  "Who's your mom?" I asked, then I realized that, too.  The woman at the end of her memories.

Tears welled up in her chocolate eyes and splashed onto the ivory keys.  I ran towards her and crouched down so I could stare into her face.

"Carlie, I'm so sorry," I bit my lip.

"It's not your fault," she replied, brushing a few tears away from her cheeks.  "It's just, Edward, my father, when she was officially...dead....he blamed me.  He ran away and killed loads of humans - how many I don't know.  We're worried....  He's going off the rails.  And then you came along."

I was surprised by the last part.  "So?"

"You wouldn't realize, of course," she said, smiling.  "But...." She shook her head.  "Never mind."

"Pl-" I bit hard down on my lip.  I didn't want to make her upset.

She smiled, then tugged her curls out of the way.  Then began playing.  It was so beautiful that a lump swelled in my throat.  Then I had a question.

"Wait, what does that make you?" I asked.

"A half human, half vampire," she answered.  "A hybrid if you please."