3. Unlucky

Rennie

I pushed open the large gate and hurried up to the front entrance.

I relished in the warmth as soon as I stepped inside.  Somewhere in the background, I think, music was playing but I wasn't paying enough attention to really notice.  I approached the blond receptionist warily.  Nervous, I tucked a strand of dark hair behind my ear.  She didn't smile at me but flung a brown envelope at me and mumbled something that was incoherent.

I opened the envelope and brought out a wad of paper.  I ignored most of it, scanning for my dorm assignment....  Fourth floor, room ten.  And Class 12-B.  Meh.  I walked up the stairs, ignoring the elevator.

Room ten was right at the end of the corridor, across from room twenty.  I pushed open the door then started when I saw another girl perching on the end of the bed nearest the door.  The girl with the scarlet curls turned.

"Don't you knock?" she demanded.

"W-what?  This is my room...." I trailed off, wondering if I'd got the wrong room.  "This is room ten, right?"

"Yes," Scarlet Curls answered.  "My room."

"We have to share?" It was meant to be a statement, but it came out as a question.

She sniffed.  "Apparently so."

"I'm Rennie, and you are?"

"Scarlett Murphy." Scarlett answered.  "The bitch you don't want to know."