Chapter 23

Thank the higher ups that she remembers our relationship.

I was honestly ready to give up on her remembering who used to be with each other. I was ready to just try and start over, but I guess the world is looking out for us.

But right now it's not about Riley and I. It's about Charlie and putting him to rest. I'm on my way to Zay's place to pick him up and then we're going to meet up the girls. Lucas is helping with the funeral since his mom is close with their family.

I pull up in front of  house and text him that I'm waiting. Within seconds he runs out his front door and jumps into the front seat.

We look at each other's snazzy tuxedos and grimly smile at each other.

Time to pay our respects.

I pull into the parking lot with ten minutes to spare. We both get out of the car I slowly as possible, but we both know no matter how slowly we move we are at a funeral and we can't deny it. There's no undoing what's happened.

Smakle, Riley, and Maya are waiting on the steps leading up to the church. As soon as this spot us they will have us over and we all walk silently in together. 

There's pictures of Charlie all around as soon as we enter. People all around us are crying and I myself shed a few tears.

We take our seats towards the front of the church Lucas and his family. No one says anything.

It's a sad but beautiful ceremony. Many of his family members and even people that I recognize from school share wonderful memories that they have of Charlie. Lucas himself even shares a few stories about the two of them.

Right before the ceremony comes to a close, the family announces that they will be opening the casket for final goodbyes since they didn't have a viewing of Charlie due to time and money.

I'm sitting by the aisle to my right and Riley on my other side. I glance at her and Maya who is, of course, next to Riley as well. They both look like they rather not be here to see him again.

I lean over and whisper to them, "We can step out early if you guys want to."

Maya looks at Riley and they both nod and begin to stand to wait outside for the casket to go to the cemetery for the burial ceremony.

That's when thing just have to go to shit.

The casket opens and Mrs. Gardener starts freaking out. I look over and see why.

Dozens of pictures of Riley are placed on top of the body with the phase 'I'm always watching' scribbled very sloppily above it.

People start to move, but I quickly grab Riley's hand and make sure the others are following me to my car.

We run out of the church with many people all around us and we jump in my car that can barely fit us all.

Lucas, who's sitting beside me, says, "We need a place to just hide for a while. As much as I want to be there for Charlie, I think he would rather you guys be safe. This is what needs to happen right now."

I start up the car. "My play?"

"Seems safest," Zay says from the back.

"And what are we going to do when we get there?" Smakle asks.

I drive out of the parking lot and towards the crowded streets of New York. "I think we should go over everything that's happened. Put it all down and figure it out."

Maya gently pats Riley's back and asks, "Won't the cops follow us? And if the do, won't the ask questions?"

"They won't follow us to the room that started it all," I reassure her.

"To the crime lab!" Zay shouts as I pass up as many cars as I can.

{Sorry it's been so long I'm really busy with musical but I'll update soon}