See You Again

It had been a few weeks since the incident with Cristina happened. Everyone around the hospital had heard about it, but Meredith shrugged it off with an eyeroll. She was 37 and far beyond the drama of her younger years. What's done was done, Cristina had proven that she was unable to change her ways and had only shown up in Seattle to cause drama between the two former best friends. Meredith had simply moved on, becoming more immersed in her job and her family, and the life she had made for herself in Seattle. She had come here over ten years ago, scared and new, and she was proud of herself for the giant hurdles she had overcome to get to the place she was in now.

All day long at work, she'd felt a constantly cramping in her pelvic region, and she'd simply figured she was getting her period. She took a few asprin and kept on working through the cramps. It took her a few hours to realize that her period was late. A month late, to be exact. She had been so stressed with the attack and then Cristina to realize that she had been late. Her eyes widening with horror, she slipped away quietly to grab a pregnancy test from a supply closet, grabbing a few and tucking them into her scrub pockets. For the next few hours, she was called into emergency surgery with Amelia, the two of them working on an aneurism that they were both sure was about to blow. She completely forgot about the increasing pain in her abdomen until she was scrubbing out of the surgery.

All at one the pain overtook her and she doubled over, crouched on the floor of the scrub room. Amelia came in, having finished the surgery, and looked at her with concern.

"Are you okay?" she asked her, kneeling down beside her. Meredith felt like she was going to vomit or pass out, and she begged herself for one or the other to happen.

"I don't know," she admitted. "I kind of have to pee," she lied, forcing herself off the floor and pushing her way out of the scrub room. The nearest public bathroom was right down the hall, but she needed a private bathroom. Derek's office had one, and so did Amelia's, but also so did hers. She headed towards the closest, which was Derek's, and barricaded the door, quickly sitting down on the toilet. The pain had only gotten worse; it was now tearing through her abdomen, and she quickly pulled down her scrub pants and her panties, fearing the worst.

Of course she found the worst.

Derek had been in the other OR doing a crainiotomy, and bumped into Amelia on both of their way out. Amelia looked up at him with concern on her face.

"Der, I was just in there with Meredith and she looked worse for wear. I think she was in pain but she wouldn't admit anything. She mentioned having to pee, but I have no idea where she went. She just...something was off," she said, biting on her lip, pulling her scrubcap off her head. Derek's face was full of concern. What could be wrong? Meredith had been to hell and back in the past year, first with him, then with herself, and then with Zola falling and breaking her arm. She didn't need anymore tragedies to marr her life. Sighing, he grabbed his cell phone and sent her a text.

Meredith felt her phone go off but she was numb. She had laid down on the bathroom floor, staring at the wall, not wanting to move for fear that she'd start crying. She was in so much pain, and there was so much blood. She didn't remember there being so much blood the first time. Suddenly there was a knock on the door, and the jingling of keys; Derek could get in with his keys. The door opened up and she looked up slightly, not feeling well enough to fully move much.

"Mere what's wrong? Tell me," he said, kneeling down beside her. She took a deep breath, not wanting to talk, but she bit on her lip and whimpered.

"It hurts," she cried out, hugging her knees to her chest. All at once he looked down at her, at the sticky stain between her legs, and his mouth dropped open. He didn't have time to grieve, not now.