That's How You Know

Christmas morning was like no other. Meredith sat around the tree with her three children, helping Ellie open her presents, loving the squeal that came out of her delighted baby mouth. She couldn't wait, though, to hand out the wrapped books she had made, the story of the Derek and Meredith Shepherd family, that ended with a photo of the ultrasound. Derek was standing by with a discreet camera after opening his presents; the living room was a mess of wrapping paper and children of all ages.

Everyone opened up the book and read through it, enjoying the photos of Meredith and Derek from the very start of their relationship, before Addison, after Addison, from post-it notes to Zola, from frat houses to the Dream House, from Meredith meeting Lizzie and Amelia for the first time, to Bailey being born, to the real wedding, to vow renewals – right down to the ultrasound of baby number four. Or three, however way they looked at it. Zola was very much baby number one for Meredith and Derek.

As the family got to the end of the book, there were gasps from all over the room as Derek filmed, everyone crowding around Meredith and hugging her, and then stampeding towards Derek and crowding around him. He was their baby brother, and besides Amelia, the only way they were going to get more nieces and nephews. Amelia grinned beside Meredith.

"See, your kids are going to be my kids babysitters," she piped up out of nowhere, looking shocked at what she said. Owen sat beside he and he smiled warmly, kissing her forehead.

"Don't look so shocked, I knew you'd come around somehow," he teased her, and Meredith giggled before going into the kitchen to help with Christmas dinner.

The day was fun, with the kids and adults playing with new toys and gadgets, Meredith helping with food and playing with her three kids, and generally relaxing with Derek as the adults watched classic Christmas movies. It was a usual Christmas and she soaked it up, knowing next year there would be two kids under the age of two, Ellie and the new baby, but she found herself excited. As she grew older she found herself with a nice balance of family and work and she was proud of herself. She was extraordinary and she had what her mother couldn't have.

Sitting around the dinner table, surrounded by family, she knew her life was filled to the brim. She was truly happy, despite the morning sickness she could feel settling in, and she had to quickly dash upstairs. Feeling Derek's hand on her back, she managed a small smile. She was right where she wanted to be; no one could pull her anywhere else or tell her she was needed anywhere else at this moment. She didn't want to go anywhere or be tugged in any other direction.

She didn't remember laying down, but she must've fallen asleep on the bathroom floor. Waking up, she had all three kids crawling on her and she smiled. She pulled Ellie close to her with Zola tickling Bailey, who was in Derek's arms and she rolled over, reaching over and kissing Derek.

"I love you four to the moon and back," she giggled, before her lips landed on his nose.

"Merry Christmas, Der," she smiled, her hand resting on her stomach.

"Merry Christmas, Mer," he smiled back, his hand resting on top of hers.