The Tree

Jughead's POV

My eyes scanned the 423rd page of a book I've been pretty invested in lately. But I couldn't seem to stay concentrated on the book. My eyes would glance above the book I had in my hands. The giant tree that swayed gently above me was like a guardian. With the way it stood tall and made graceful movements, it wasn't threatening; its branches twisting gently in the breath of the wind and the leaves dancing to the music of whistling birds. This was the only tree in the entire town that threatened anything coming in its path, but when you sat beneath it, it would welcome you as one if it's own.

I may just be acting sentimental after all the chaos that goes on at school everyday. Girls gossiping in the halls about which guy their friend had sex with; and their heels clacking on the hard tile floor like a disobedient kid getting hit with a wooden spoon by their mother. The boys' loud laughing and obnoxious mentions of how they 'banged a bitch' or 'did heroine' last night. All that noise sounded like nails on a chalk board to both my ears and my temper. Not to mention the rumors about Jason Blossom's death. God, why? Why the rumors? Can't you just take Sherryl's word for it? But I'm not going to lie. I do have my doubts. I do believe someone murder him for a reason we don't know about, but I don't go around making pathetic theories like a bear had gotten to him after he crossed the other side of the river. I'm just glad Betty and I have managed to get more information. Sherryl did say he wanted to run away from Riverdale, but Polly going with him was bigger news that no one else knew about.

I began to become annoyed by the thought of not knowing how he died, my brows furrowed and I looked down at the damp grass and dirt below me. My gaze went back up to the limbs of the tree that watched me wisely. It's strange how something can live and be as incredible as this, and not start rumors about another tree getting chewed down by a beaver.

I grinned gently at the tree. The quiet was nice.

That was until I heard the familiar cackling of Reggie, an oaf with nothing on his mind other than his victims and football. I felt myself become dense and I glared straight ahead, just waiting to see him.

Maybe a couple yards away, he was there, his goons along side him. It seemed as if the tree got a temper. The wind picked up and the tree swayed threatening above me. The leaves were no longer dancing, they seemed to be fighting as many of the leaves climbed down from the tree in defeat. The wind became chilling and howled throughout the sky. I frowned.

I turned my attention back to the book with my eyes staring at one word. I waited to see if the bloke would come over and try shoving me between the tree's roots.

Last time Reggie tried to touch me was in the student lounge.

But, Archie, he stepped in front of him for me...

Every time I thought about Archie, I felt weird. I knew what it was, but I didn't want to feel that anymore. He literally just gave me booty calls, but I denied it, wanting it to be real. I was just glad we finally made up after our falling out, but it's still uncomfortable.

My train of thought was interrupted by the sound of the tree groaning in anguish and anger, almost as if it was asking for a brawl, I knew why. My gaze went up and stared straight at the infamous Reggie and his goons who stood like a brick wall.

"Oh no. Mommy! The pigs are getting too close to me!"

I said mockingly with the flare in my eye that usually set Reggie off. I looked back down at the book and waited to see for his reaction.

"Look boys, looks like we've found the creepy fanboy."

He snickered and snatched the book out of my hands. He chuckled at me and I couldn't help myself. I bolted up and waited for him to try something, my face right in front of his with a glare. His friends shifted protectively, trying to threaten me. Of course, Reggie's fist snaked up to my face and punched me firmly. My first reaction was pulling my head off to the side in pain, but I turned my stare back to his, determined not to show weakness, which I never gave him, he just wish I would.