iii

Jade Amelia Thirlwall age: 10

Liam James Payne age: 11

               Jade wakes up, today is a big day. Today is her tenth birthday! She runs down the stairs, but sadly, she sees another baby-sitter and a birthday card on the counter.

                Happy Tenth Birthday Jade!

               Jade was not very surprised, that’s how it was for her birthday last year. She throws the birthday card back on the counter and sits in the sofa before sighing deeply.

               “Thanks mom…” Jade says quietly. Jade then feels a light tap on her shoulder, she turns to see Karl standing there with a smile plastered on his face.

               “Happy Birthday lil’ sis, I’m going to be hanging out with the guys today, hope you don’t mind if I miss going to the ice cream parlor. Besides you’ll have Liam, right?” Jade’s older brother Karl says ruffling Jade’s hair, before leaving out the door making Jade feel even worse.

                “Happy Birthday Jade!” Liam says, Jade smiles and hugs him tightly. If Jade cannot have her mother or brother on her birthday, at least she has her best friend in the entire world. But when Jade looks at Liam, she realizes that his smile isn’t the same.

                “What’s wrong Liam?” Jade asks, now realizing that  there is something really bugging him. Liam shakes his head, “N—Nothing….I have a surprise for you.”

                Liam holds Jade’s hand a leads her to the piano. Liam takes a seat, and Jade sits next to him. Liam begins playing, and Jade is in awe, she cannot believe that her best friend can play piano like that. But then Liam did something that knocked Jade’s socks off—he started to sing!

“Making my way downtown

Walking fast

Faces pass

And I'm home bound

Staring blankly ahead

Just making my way

Making a way

Through the crowd

And I need you

And I miss you

And now I wonder....

If I could fall

Into the sky

Do you think time

Would pass me by

'Cause you know I'd walk

A thousand miles

If I could

Just see you

Tonight

It's always times like these

When I think of you

And I wonder

If you ever

Think of me

'Cause everything's so wrong

And I don't belong

Living in your

Precious memory

'Cause I need you