v

~ Flashback

Jade Amelia Thirlwall age: 4

                “I’m tired of the lying Norma, I’m not happy and neither are you.” Jade heard her father say to her mother.

                “But what about the kids James?” Jade’s mother question. Jade then hears a sigh, “We’re going to bring the children down if we stay together. I love the kids dearly Norma, you know, but if we keep this lie going, then this whole family is going to crumble.” He confesses.

                Jade hears along silence, before hearing her father speaking up again, “Norma, be honest. Are you happy with where we are right now?” He asks.

                “No, but…” She starts, but then stops. She sighs deeply, “James you’re right, and we can’t keep this going on. I thought it would be right to stay married, since we had Karl before getting married, and then had Jade after. But if we stay together, we are not only hurting ourselves, more importantly we’d be hurting the kids.” She confesses.

                “So I guess I’ll get the divorce papers filed first thing in the morning?” Jade’s dad question.

                “Yes, but who will tell the kids?” Jade’s mom asks, her dad takes a deep breath, “We both will, it’s only fair they hear it from both of us.” He says.

                “Okay, first thing tomorrow.”

                Jade of course at such a young age did not know what divorce is, but when she did, all she knew by it was her mommy and daddy don’t want to live with each other anymore, her daddy will move away, and she’ll only see him a couple of times a year.

                With no friends, a brother who never wants to hang out, a father who lives miles away, and a mother who is now trying to cope with the divorce by dating new men, this would be the loneliest couple of months for Jade.

-               -               -               -               -               -               -              

Jade Amelia age: 4 ½

                “Now you l—listen here, I—I took you and those b—bastard children in. That s—son of yours is NEVER here, a—and that little daughter of yours is always crying for her bitch ass of a father! But you don’t see me trying to leave!” Jade hears her mother’s boyfriend scream at her mom.

                Jade clenches on to her teddy bear with her thumb in her mouth, and doesn’t say a word.

                “Joey, please just leave me alone and my children alone. I know I threaten to call the police every time, but I’m serious this time.” Jade’s mom’s voice quivers.

                “You aren’t calling anyone.” He sneers. Jade hears a big smack, and then a shriek. She jumps and shakes. Jade creeps on to the staircase, until her mother’s boyfriend spots her and runs after her. As Jade tries to run back up the stairs, he grabs her legs and drags her down the staircase.

                Jade screams in pain as she lets go of her teddy bear. He then takes he hand and slaps it across Jade’s face.

                “N—now y—you are n—never going to cry again or y—you’ll face the consequences.” He sneers to Jade.