Chapter 18[Edited]

What happened earlier still played in her mind. Kate couldn't get over it.

Those intense eyes belonging to the genetor, spoke so much. So familiar yet strange, his presence affected her and there was no denying it.

She felt somewhat strange to be affected by only a mere encounter.

' It was twice the encounter.' She reminded herself.

She wondered who the man is, that made her think of the past.

' Yes, it felt like staring at my past.'

She shook her head a bit, trying to get rid of that thought.

'  No, nothing should link me back to my past. The past is the past, that's it.'

Kate felt conflicting thoughts race through her mind and in her attempt to silence them, she squeezed shut her eyes. She fought against her mind, desperate for silence.

" Are you okay, Kate?" Her eyes snapped open when she heard Danny's voice.

She felt relieved to hear another voice other than hers.

" Kate?" She heard him again, much more clearer now.

" Yes-s I'm okay." She turned to him on her seat, now much more relaxed.

" You ---"

" I'm taking my car home, that's good." She said, trying to change the subject.

" You sound more distracted than excited." He pointed out.

And he was right but she didn't want him to dwell on that.

" I've got a lot on my mind," she shrugged. " I should get going." She took her bag and opened the door, ready to leave but his hand on her arm stopped her.

" Is it that bastard? Is he bothering you again because if he is, let me know." He said.

There was promise in his tone when he said the last sentence.

" No, its not. I'm sure it was a stupid prank which I fell for."

This is what she had told Nick. She didn't want to assume, because if she did more than assume, everything else that felt scary would make it real.

" I don't know Kate." He shook his head. " There was something about that call -------"

" Need I remind you It's Halloween week?"

He sighed. " I hate that it had to be you." He mumbled.

" Don't worry, I'm over it now."

"I hope there won't be a next time, trust me when I say we won't take it lightly. Someone will pay."

" Danny -----"

" I care, Kate. I actually care about what happens to you!" His voice raises a little, emotion evident in his tone.

"I-I know." She said, surprised by how things turned intense all of a sudden.

She didn't know if Danny was aware how his grip was tightening around her arm, so she started to pull back, wanting him to take notice.

She felt uncomfortable now, the more he held on.

" I don't like the thought of you hurt, that's all."

"D-Danny, your hand."

He was quick to let go of her arm. " I-I'm sorry. I guess I lost myself in my head again. "

When he tried to reach for her arm again, in an attempt to check her arm, she held it back. " You don't have to get stressed over me. Nick is here for me."