Chapter 22[Editing]

The time for the trip was here and no matter how much she tried, Kate wasn't too keen about it. She couldn't pin point what exactly was the issue but she couldn't relax completely and enjoy the moment.

Deep within, she felt something amiss about this whole trip but decided to not say anything, as to not ruin anyone's excitement. Both Nick and Anna could not stop talking about it.

Nick's older brother had lent them his boat to travel with, to Paradise Island. This gave them relief that they didn't have to rent a boat.

With 30 minutes to spare before the others arrived, she set out to do something important.

It was so important that she didn't want any regrets to linger on her trip.

Down the street, Max paced back and forth in his living room, trying to decide on his next move. He kept debating on whether he should go over to Kate's house or let things be, until she returned from her trip.

He had overheard Julia mention something about Kate and her friends, planning to take a trip. Today was the day and it bothered him that the last he would remember, from his encounter with Kate, was her running away from him.

The sound of the doorbell pulled him out of his deep thinking and he took a breath, as he went on to answer. The way he swung the door open was not intentional but it still surprised Kate, to the point that she took a step back.

Max couldn't believe his eyes. Kate was standing right at his doorstep as if she knew how much he thought about her.

" Kate?!" His voice rose in surprise.

" H-hi." She said nervously. " Can I come in?"

Something twisted in his heart as he watched her look anywhere else but him. She seemed so unsure and kept twisting on her heel.

" Yeah, sure," he immediately stepped aside to let her in.

He gasped in surprise when Kate threw her arms around him the minute he closed the door, and he turned to face her.

His whole body tensed and he became tongue tied.

" Why didn't you tell me sooner?" She asked so quietly he almost missed it.

Nothing about her tone sounded accusing or off, instead it made him sigh in relief and later hug her back.

" I didn't want to ruin things for you by bringing up the past." He answered.

She moved back to look at him. His lips parted and eyes widened when her own were watery.

A moment or two passed with both of them looking at each other. Kate sighed and said, " I guess you know huh?"

He nodded.

" I can't imagine what you went through." He shook his head, trying to clear the disturbing image that had came to mind. " It must have been terrifying," he softly said.

" All I can say is that it's something I would not want to experience ever again. Anyway, I'm here to talk about something else." She let out a sigh before she continued. " The last time I was here -------"

" I was wrong."

" What?" She blinked at him in surprise.

" I shouldn't have sprung all of this on you like This, I should have done better." He sounded embarrassed as he lightly rubbed the back of his neck.

" N-no, you did the right thing. You told me the truth and I appreciate that."

" Yeah, well, I didn't keep my promise to you." He said in defeat, walking over to the couch .