Chapter 20[Edited]

" Just so you know, I believe you."

Those words relieved Max and he could feel the tension leave his shoulders.

" So?"

" No, and I want it to stay that way."

His whole demeanor had changed now.

" Why not?" She asked in surprise.

" I'm nothing more than a memory from her past and I'm okay with that. "

" And what about all the trouble you went through to find the truth? Was it all for nothing?" She asked, a frown now visible on her face.

" She's been doing so well. She's comfortable and happy, there's no need for me to mess this up."

" Max----"

" The past should stay as just that. As long as I'm part of the good in her life, then that is more than enough, I can live with that."

Julie bit her lip, stopping herself from saying anything. There seemed to be a lot left to be said because she clearly was not convinced by all she'd heard. She couldn't understand why he decided to stop after all the trouble he went through, to get to the truth.

She just could not believe that his desire for the truth to be out, had diminished so fast.

One thing she felt deeply about, was how much Max was affected by all this. He might not have been aware, but his eyes expressed something far different than his words. The hurt was evident in his eyes and she wanted to take it away.

She felt the sincerity towards Max again and she decided to hold on to that, not letting any ounce of doubt to mess with that.

" Can I ask you something?"

He nodded.

" If ever the truth were to come out ----"

" Julie -----"

" No, let me finish."

He sighed but let her have her way.

" If ever the truth were to come out, by chance, what would happen then?"

" Honestly, I don't know, but everything would be up to her."

She nodded.

Something twisted in her heart, she hurt for him, but also for her cousin, who had never forgotten her first friend.

" I can't be selfish." He said, disturbing her thoughts. " She needs stability in her life and not something that will turn her life upside down . All has been good in her life and we should let that continue."

' If only you knew Max.' She internally sighed as she remembered how Kate has been these days.

                      .............

The suggestion for a night stroll had been what Kate needed, spending time with Nick was something she valued. The day had felt long and tiring but this moment, seemed to recharge her.  Nick on the other hand used this moment as an opportunity to make up, for not being present during the time she went to fetch her now repaired car.
He knew how important it was for Kate and he felt bad, for missing out. He had been too busy and couldn't get away. No matter how understanding Kate could be, he was always careful to not overstep and take advantage of that.

It might have been a last minute thing, but spending as much time with his girl was worth every moment. It relieved him greatly that she hadn't been too busy and he could steal her away for the evening.

" Have you had time to think about the next step?"

It felt like the right time for Kate to bring up this topic. She needed for both of them to find middle ground when it concerned their future.