Chapter Thirty-Nine

Rai said nothing as she stared ahead

Rai said nothing as she stared ahead. She had woken up several moments ago to the company of a turbaned man, a woman she recognised as one of the pharaoh's wives and a boy. The boy and woman were both asleep a small distance from where she sat, and the stranger was presently rising to his feet. She shifted her gaze, dropping it to her sandaled feet.

There was a yawning hollowness in Rai—a feeling of deadness she could not shake off. Her face was messed up, all she had to do was blink to be reminded of it. Everything hurt. Her face, her arms, and her side. They all burned with a searing pain that made her want to die.

"It is time to leave." The stranger offered her a hand. Rai stared at it for a moment before gripping it and struggling to her feet. She gritted her teeth as she fought the urge to cry out from the agony her movement caused. It was that time just before dawn. The sky was deep blue and the sun was close by.

The man quietly led her to one of the horses. He was patient with her, taking slow steps and leading her forward. If only he knew what she had done—who she was.

"Why are you helping me?" her voice came out sharp and clipped, unlike she had intended.

"Do not bother yourself with such questions." The man retrieved a satchel that hung from the saddle and waved it in front of her. "There's enough supply here to last you throughout your journey. You are to head back to Egypt and tell the queen what transpired at the Red Sea."

Rai stared at him in disbelief. Did he know the queen hated her? She shuddered as she recalled her last encounter with the woman. She had made it clear that she saw her as a foe and nothing more. He was sending her to her death.

"No." Rai shook her head.

"This horse would head straight to Egypt. Do not waste your time trying to change its course." The man continued like he didn't hear her protest. Replacing the satchel in its former position, he turned to leave.

"Why did you help me only to send me to my doom?" She called after him.

He paused and turned to face her.

Rai shifted on her feet. "The queen would kill me."

Is that not what you want? A voice questioned in her head.

She had no direct answer to that. All she knew was that dying at the hands of Nefertari was not something she needed at the moment. She wanted a quick painless death, one the queen may not offer. And, besides, the thought of going to meet her unforgiving brother in the afterlife set her on edge.

You're being a coward. You'll still die someday. You will still meet him.

Rai shook her head to dispel the thought but immediately regretted her action. She hissed and gritted her teeth at the pain that ripped through the skin of her face.

"Priestess..."

Rai bristled at the sound of the title and looked away from the stranger's knowing glare. She could swear mockery tinged his words.