Prologue

Loud conversations were overtuning the lowly playing music floating through the grand hall of the 'Bouletti's'. Only a few couples were on the dance floor swaying slowly in rhythm and showing off their accurate steps.

Obtrusive perfumes - varying from sweet and flowery to woody, mossy fragrances - lingered in the air and overpowered the faint smell of  beautiful flower arrangements of roses and lilies sitting in the middle of big round tables.

Rich businessmen in overpriced suits with woman in expensive designer dresses at their sides shook hands with actors, model or musicians.
Every well-known name participated in the event of the year: a charity ball hosted by Rosetta Bouletti - founder of 'Children Rights', hotel giant and wealthiest woman of Los Angeles or probably of the whole US.

Waiter in black uniforms with little white ties served only the top of the line to keep the guests happy and generous. Most of them took advantage of the evening to establish contacts or to present themselves. And while I should have done some networking myself I just couldn't take my eyes off of her.

Since I arrived that evening I kept looking for her, knowing she would attend as it was a charity event hosted by her grandmother. And even if it wasn't, she would have come as it was common knowledge that she's got a heart of gold.

I kept running my hand through my hair looking at every woman to see if she was already there but to no avail. I didn't know how often I daydreamed of meeting her, talking to her, hearing that lovely voice I only knew from movies and interviews in person and seeing into those remarkable ice blue eyes. And then as she finally arrived in a long violet dress hugging her curvy body in all the right places, she had my undivided attention.

But this attention thing was one-sided. Without intending to sound conceited  I felt each pair of eyes of the women in this room at least once on me that night. That was each except of hers - the only woman I actually wouldn't have minded checking me out. She only got eyes for him. Tall, dark, handsome and just the right portion of mysterious. But I didn't expect anything else.

For as long as she is in this business, she never shared anything about her private life. Wouldn't it be for her last name no one would even know she is the granddaughter of Rosetta Bouletti.
Nevertheless the tabloids were filled with speculations about her love life. But no matter the picture they took of her in company, there was never anything compromising about it or proving that she was dating that man. No public hand-holding nor kissing.

Except for a couple of days ago.

A picture of her and that lad accompanying her that night, was all over the internet. It wasn't the first one of those two together but it was different. In this they were walking side by side, smiling at each other. Nothing too bad - weren't it for the new piece of jewelry adorning her left ringfinger. Of course the rumour mill went into overdrive. And seeing them together that night I was certain those speculations were right. To say my hopes of ever having a chance with her were crushed, was an understatement. I finally understood how my fans must be feeling when I'm papped with one of my girl friends - no matter how harmless the picture is.

Ever since I first saw her in a movie she did a couple years ago, I was infatuated. I followed her career and with each new article and picture I was bewitched more and more by her. I was pretty sure by then it was a whole-heartedly crush. Or not really. More of a longing to get to know her. A growing desire. I wanted to meet her. And now that I finally associated with the same people as her, she got engaged. No matter how hard I would try, watching her dance from across the room seeing the sparkle in her mesmerising blue eyes she had while looking at her fiance, I just knew I wouldn't stand a chance.