House Hunting Time

"It's about time we found a new home." I admit after bunking with Marshall and Simone in my room at the tree house for a few days.

He nods, "Man, my bass and everything is still in the cave, I can’t believe I’ve forgotten." He says to himself, staring into space.

I stand up from my lounging position on the couch, "I’ve got it." I start, "You and Cake go salvage what you can from the cave and Simone and I can go looking for new homes for the day." I suggest; nodding in Simone's direction as she just now looks up from her reading.

"House hunting? Sounds more exciting than this article on dormant rocks in the Cloud Kingdom." She sets the paper aside and stands up stiffly, cracking her back as she stretches. "Let's go." She hums eagerly.

Marshall floats in front of her and opens his mouth to say something but Simone instantly puts up her hand to stop him. "I'll be fine, Marshall, goodness; I’m a grown woman, I don’t need your constant worry." She scolds gently. But she softens up again soon enough, "Go on then, go try to save your things from your cave. Meet you back here at dinner time." She turns towards the door and starts pushing me out of it; I'm barely able to nab my pack before we're out the door. "So where do we start?"

We start our long journey around Aaa, twisting around and through familiar kingdoms. We quickly rule out living right by the Candy Kingdom. But after walking though some other kingdoms, we realized that we wouldn't want to live in the city anyway; we need our space away from the seemingly constant dramas there. We go to the forest, perhaps to find a tree for our own tree house; but most trees we see are feeble, not quite having the size of our original one that I liked.

"You could create a network of tree houses." Simone suggests as our eyes are still glued to the tree tops. "Multiple trees to support a single house, or break up different rooms of the house to different trees then connect them with bridges between them." She explains further.

I nod in time with her thoughts, liking the idea. "That sounds great. It'll be tons of fun to design and build. You can even have your own side of the house all to yourself." I point out. Simone stops walking. I over take her but quickly stop and turn towards her. "Something wrong?" I inquire, walking back towards her.

"I don’t have to live with you guys, I can live somewhere else. I don’t want to impose on you guys." she shuffles around one of the trees, gently stroking the bark.

"No, no, we insist, no problem at all." I assure her

Her hand slides down the tree, then turns to look at me, "Is this Marshall's idea? What’s with him?" she complains, "I mean he acting like I’m completely helpless just because I’m not connected to the gems anymore. I love him but he's acting a bit strange." she trails off, losing her train of thought.

I open my mouth to say something, but close it, collecting my thoughts before saying anything. I take a deep breath, "Simone, you're all he has." I start off gently, "Can you see the hope that has returned to his eyes? Since his mom died he's been... different. He and his mom may never admit that they loved each other truly, but they were still family and something broke inside of him the day she died. 

"Then when you started suffering because of the gems, it was just another blow to him. Without you, I don’t think he could go on. So that’s why he's being extra careful with you, without you he would fall to bits." I illustrate, rationalizing Marshall's behavior. I scale up one of the nearby trees to keep myself busy and to not suffocate Simone. I lean back against the trunk on a branch about 10 feet up, clearing my mind a bit.

"'All he has'?" she questions, her voice rising up towards me in the tree. "Fionna, honey, listen to me... look at me!" she yells at me. I look down reluctantly. "I'm 'all he has'? Is that what you think?"

"You're all the family he has left." I clarify, moving my eyes back to peering through the low level tree branches.

"So you're saying you aren’t family? Is that what I’m supposed to get out of this?"

I keep my eyes straight ahead and shrug, "Not like you and Marshall, you've known each other for centuries, and I’m just... I’m just a speck." I can’t help Peppermint Maid's words from crawling out of my mouth, poisoning my mind even after she's long gone. "I'm just following Marshall's lead and making sure you're safe; you're very important to him." I finish.

 "AND ARE YOU SAYING YOU'RE NOT?! Get down here!" she demands, reminding me of mom when I used to climb on the roof of our house.

I scale down the tree trunk and jump the last few feet. No later than the second that my feet touch the ground, Simone envelops me in a huge hug. "We need each other. We may or not share pasts together, but what counts is that we are in each other’s lives now. Marshall and I would be nothing without you, it works all ways around. Never count yourself out, do you hear me?!" she whispers harshly in my ear, "Do you hear me?"

 My mouth just hangs open a bit and I feel a single tear trickle down my cheek. I clear my throat but my voice still comes out shaky, "Y-yeah." I hug her tighter, "Thanks,"

She pulls away a tad and moves a piece of blonde hair from my face, "Let's go tell Marshall where we're gonna live." Her eyes drifting up to the tree tops.

A smile spreads across my face and we head back home.

 ((THIS WEEK we feature a fellow Adventurer: 'Vandy101'! their story is called "love saves the day: a fiollee fanfic" looks great, give'em some love. QUESTION OF THE WEEK: what's your favourite movie? im personally partial to Marvel movies but i also quite enjoyoed Frozen and disney movies. How 'bout you? please comment below! see you next week! wait, i cant "see" you........ hope to see your username next week, or something...  :D byes ))