What's Love?

Jess' pov:

I drove back home after the meeting. I didn't think my brain could handle so much in one day. First, I have to deal with the situation between Jake and I, which I have no clue what to even do, then I have to go on this "date" with Liam, and then I have to call my new "boyfriend" and basically do what Liam and I originally planned to do. Alright, here goes nothing.

I took out my phone and dialled Jake's number...

"Hello?" Jake's voice beamed through the speaker, his voice slightly low and raspy. Must have been asleep.

"Hey, it's Jess, I just had a quick question to ask?" I have no clue if this will go well or not, I mean, we just spilt our "love" to each other just a few nights ago.

A fumbling noise came from the phone signalling that he was shifting around, "Oh, hey babe, what is it?" He said in a more alive tone.

I pondered whether I should even mention to him about my "issues". "I was wondering, are we a thing?" I said quite slowly, wanting to slap myself at how ridiculous and childish I probably sounded to him. "Thing" probably wasn't the best word choice ever, but it was the only thing that had come to my mind. I'm not sure if I'm ready to be in a relationship with him, he has always seemed like the player type, but he's also so sweet and kind. When he needs to be. Before I was just going to let Jake and Liam just fight for my love like a fairytale, but this is real life. Things just don't happen like that unfortunately. My plans weren't working out, and I was stumped. This has to be one of the most confusing and kinda stressful decisions ever. And I haven't even heard his reply yet!?

You could hear silence, that's not possible, it was more of a sound that happens when your ears are ringing from how quiet it is. "Do you want us to be?" He answered finally.

Honestly, I do but I don't. I don't want to pick from three guys, and I don't think I could ever just lie behind their backs. I should really only be with one, but it's so hard. And after what Niall had told me, I'm not too sure what to do about Liam. Our "date" was in a few hours, and I needed time to think about this. Changing the subject, I replied, "Uh, today. Today, I went to a meeting for a new job..." I began to say, trying to quicken up what needed to be said. "I'm the opening act for the band One Direction." I added, waiting to hear a reply.

"Congratulations, but does this mean you won't be working with me anymore?" He asked, a hint if sadness in his voice. "It would be impossible to continue working at a mall where numerous fans would either want to take pictures with me, or take pictures with my dead body. I am finally doing something I love, kinda." I said, saying the last part softly so I didn't become bombarded with questions. But I was too late with that of course, "What do you mean kinda? What happened?" He asked, now in full detective mode. "Aren't you supposed to fully love your career?" He added, "Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'll love being able to travel around the world, but I was sort of pressured into a deal with the management, and I kinda can't get out of it." I mumbled, unsure of what his thoughts might have been.

"You're not going to die are you?" He asked jokingly, well damn. "Nooo, in order to keep things flowing, I have to be in a relationship with one of the band members, and I can't have any other relationships." I said softly. Right about now, I didn't want to witness his reaction, it could be understanding, or it could just go completely wrong. We are talking about the boy who would just die to even kiss me, but would easily kiss any other girl.

"Oh." Was all he said for a while, I sat still in my car, finally at home, but that was currently the last thing on my mind. "Well, do you love me?" He said finally speaking up. Never have I thought five words could affect on my feelings. Do I love him? If I do, I don't want to. I don't want to have to constantly worry about being away from him, I'll be in a "relationship" with Niall anyways, so why should it matter? It does matter though. He's known me longer, I just properly met Niall, and I don't even know the real him. All I know is the media him. But I want to get to know the real him. But I want the same from Liam.

"Jake, I do love you, but I don't think I can love you. I want to, but I can't. I just feel like we'd be better off friends. Until I get back at least. I'm going on tour in a few weeks, and I can't balance a relationship during that time. Please hear me out." All that could be heard was a sigh from the other line but soon replying, "Okay, goodbye Jess." And that was the end of our conversation. A dead phone line beep was currently filling my mind as I turned the car off and slowly let my head fall to the steering wheel.

Have I just lost the person I could have actually loved? Now I would never know. I would probably barely hear from him now, and that is going to kill me, it's like the beginning of "fame" is starting to hit me, and I don't want to become one of those insane people. I can't.

***********

3 hours went by, my phone waking me up from my sleep. Today was just not my day. I picked up the phone, not bothering to check the caller I.d. "Hello?" I whispered, carrying my bag out of my car, yes my car. I fell asleep in here. Sue me.

Carrying my legs up to the door, I saw no sign of my moms car, indicating that my lazy ass needed to find the keys. "Hey Jess, I was wondering if we were still on for tonight? I hadn't gotten any replies from you, so I decided to call you. Have you been asleep?" The voice asked, soon recognising it as Liam's. I wasn't too happy with him, but for all I know, that could have been a made up lie by Niall just so I would like him instead of Liam. It's like middle school all over again. "Tonight? Yeah, yeah, sure uh, just text me the details, and yep. I fell asleep in my car, got too, uh tired. Anyways, I'll see you later tonight okay? I have to get ready." I said, pressing the end button before he could ask anymore questions.

After 3 minutes of digging through my purse, I found my house key that was currently attached to a necklace I seem to wear a lot, and put it into the keyhole, quickly opening the door and throwing my belongings onto the desk beside the entrance. I ridded myself of my shoes and sweater, and ran upstairs to my bed room to get ready. My phone buzzed once more reading:

From: L.P

To: Jess

"Meet at the Starbucks near the mall, and wear something that people won't recognise you in. xx "

I read the text aloud, and thanked myself that I hadn't already began to dress myself.

Walking over to my closet, I chose an outfit that I wouldn't normally wear, skinny jeans, a flannel shirt, and a north face jacket. Normal hipster clothes. I threw on some blue toms and put my hair up in a bun, deciding not to wear any makeup, and put on some shades that I found at forever 21. Union Jack c: it feels awkward not wearing heels, a dress/skirt and my hair down, but I guess this is what I'll have to get used to. Plus, shades at night? I feel like people will believe I've gone mad.

I shrugged it off and ran to the bathroom to brush my teeth and spray myself a few times with my favourite perfume, Daisy by Marc Jacobs, hopped downstairs, grabbed my purse, and left off to Starbucks. "This should be interesting." I whispered to myself, setting my shades on the dashboard, and backing out of the driveway.

Mission #1 Clear air with Jake - Done

Mission #2 Spend time with Liam- Doing that

Mission #3 Get to know my "boyfriend". - Later on.

**************

Kinda just a filler really. Also, sorry if this chapter seems unedited. It is. XD it's 2:16 AM, I don't have school anymore for a while, so this is what I'll most likely fill that time with.

Do you think Jake will find a way to get back into Jess' life? Maybeeeeeeeeee. You'll just have to wait!(: As always, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and votes & comments really help me out c: see ya!