Turning Point

Chapter 6

That afternoon, Ace was right on time. I had grown accustomed to his presence while I worked, but Kelly hadn't. So when he arrived, she had to put down her tools and greet him.

"Hi." She said. "You haven't seen me outside of the restaurant, have you?" She asked.

He shook his head. "No, I don't think I have. Actually, if you don't mind me asking; why are you here?"

Kelly laughed. "It's fine. Once a month, usually on a Sunday, I help Alissa out with her work."

"That's kind of you." Ace said. We fell into an awkward silence, with them standing and me continuing my work.

"But," Kelly began. "I think I've helped enough for one day. I'll see you tomorrow, Liz." Leaving her tools out, she left Ace and I alone.

"She's a great friend." Ace said.

I shrugged one of my shoulders. "She's like a sister to me. But she always leaves the tools out when she leaves." I said.

"If you'd like, I can put them away." He offered.

"No, I can get them. I'm almost done anyway." I told him.

"Oh. Okay then." Ace stepped forward and sat Indian style on the ground in front of me. "So what are you doing?" He inquired.

"Pulling out the weeds." I informed him, yanking one out. "That was the last of them." I said throwing it into my basket. I wiped the sweat off my forehead and stood up.

"How long did that take you?" Ace asked, grabbing the tools as he stood.

"Only all day. I did the whole field." I said.

He followed me over to the shed and waited as I opened it. "You say that like its normal."

I placed my watering can on its shelf and stepped out to take his. "Because it is. I pick the weeds out once every two weeks."

"How long have you been doing that?" He asked while I put the watering can away.

"Almost ten years." I replied simply. I stepped out of the shed and closed the lock.

"But," he said. "If I'm correct in guessing that your sixteen, then that would mean you've been doing that since you were six."

I glared at him. "For your information, I'm turning eighteen in three months. But I have been doing this since I was eight."

"Oh. Sorry. You look younger than that."

I crossed my arms. "Because of my height, right? I'll have you know that my height is perfectly normal."

Ace held up his hand. "No- I know. I'm sorry for saying anything. I thought girls liked being told they looked younger than they really are."

I looked at him. "You mean, that was your way of complimenting me?" I asked.

"Yeah." He said. "But it didn't work so well."

I loosened up. "Yeah." I let my arms fall and bit my lip. I didn't know how to continue this conversation, or even if I should keep it going.

"So, are you done for today?" Ace asked, deciding for me.

"Why?" I countered.

"I was wondering if you would like to take a little walk with me this evening."

"Well," I began. "I need to clean my tools. And then I have to clean my house- it's a mess." He looked disappointed, but I added, "But I can put that off until tomorrow."

He smiled widely. "Really? That's great!"

I returned his smile. "Yeah. Let me go change out of this and into something a bit more comfortable, and I'll meet you by the hotel when I'm ready."

He nodded. "Alright. I'll see you then."

Still smiling, I turned and darted into my house. I had a date to get ready for.