15. Gale

Kelly Sire is pretty. I'm not going to deny that she's pretty. Besides the fact that she has the ugliest soul, has no interest in nothing but what people think of her and is not the greatest person in bed, she's very pretty. I'm not going to say she's beautiful because in order for someone to be called beautiful, they have be beautiful inside, too.

With that being said, I shouldn't be annoyed by the fact that she has her arms around me the whole lunch period. I shouldn't be annoyed that she's calling me nicknames like "sweetie", "honey" and "baby" that make me cringe. I shouldn't be annoying that she's trying to kiss me in public every five minutes but I am. I'm so annoyed that even now, as her arms are around me and she's seated so close to me that I'm afraid she's going to end up on my lap, I want to throw her off of me.

"You know, I don't get why you guys aren't dating." Tania tells us from the other side of the table. Tania Shay is a cheerleader and as depressing as it seems, the only black woman in the entire high school that doesn't get bullied. I think Tania is a great person when she wants to be but just like every other cheerleader, she's as fake as a fake person gets. It's probably because she hangs out with Kelly too much.

"I know. A lot of people think we look super cute together." Kelly answers her and I just smile the entire time. I don't want to say anything because I don't agree with Tania.

"I mean, you guys look like you're about to make out any second from now, let's be honest." Luke says, as he puts his arm around Tania.

"Luke Hills, why is your arm around me?" Tania asks him, raising an eyebrow before taking his arm off of her.

"Feisty, Tania Shay. That's why I like you." Luke Hills says, winking at her which makes Tania roll her eyes at him and leave the table to sit at the other end with the rest of the cheerleaders.

"Don't you want to sit with the rest of the cheerleaders?" I ask Kelly, noticing that she's the only cheerleader seated around the football players.

"Are you trying to get rid of me?" Kelly asks me, taking her arms off of me and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders, quite literally. She sits a little bit away from me, creating a small space between us and looks at me accusingly.

"Not at all. I was just wondering -" I was saying but then she stands up and her eyes have grown two times wider than it normally is. She pathetically attempts to push me but her arms are like twigs and I'm afraid her arms are going to break if she keeps pushing me.

"I am tired of you playing games, Gale! I can't believe you're doing this to me in public!" Kelly starts her rampage in front of me, making all eyes go on us, including the new girl's. She's screaming more insults at me but by this point, I zone out. I want to go to my dad and ask him for some girl advice. He usually tells me to stop seeing Kelly because she's no good for me but here I am, getting myself stuck in the same damn situation.

For the football players and cheerleaders, this is a very normal scene. This happens at least once a week during practices but they all stop what they're doing anyways to watch because everyone finds it so entertaining. By tomorrow, everyone's going to talk about how "boys will be boys" and how "Gale Ford just doesn't know how to treat a girl right", so I just let it happen because there's not much I can do.

Kelly is still screaming nonsense at me as I stand up, grab my tray and make my way out of the cafeteria. I leave my tray at the side where the janitors usually collect them. Kelly is trying to follow me out of the cafeteria and everyone is still staring. I want something to just take me away. I wish I could teleport to another place, to another time, specifically to my dad's farm with my dad.

"I hate you! I hate you!" Kelly is still screaming and I turn around and kiss her. I kiss her softly because I know that's the only way she'll shut up. She relaxes into the kiss and kisses me back, wrapping her annoying twig arms around me. If my eyes weren't closed, I'd be rolling my eyes at the situation. This happens so much that it has already become a routine. After this, we're going to end up holdings hands and I'll walk her to her locker and kiss her goodbye. In fact, the whole school probably knows the routine because Kelly throws a fit way too much.

"I'm sorry, okay?" I tell her. I don't know what I'm sorry for but I just say it anyways because I don't want anyone screaming at me anymore. There's already enough screaming in my head.

"It's okay. I mean, it's not really okay but I'll deal with it for now. Just don't do it again." Kelly says, straightening her cheerleading outfit and just as expected, holds my hand and I walk her to her locker.