3. Gale.

I sit next to Jordan at the back of Mathematics Room 1 classroom. Jordan and I are talking about some girl called Cassidy who he fancies. I haven't told him about my dad committing suicide but I'm pretty sure the word's going to transfer around fast. Besides, we live in Helenston, one of the smallest towns in Indiana. Word travels around fast when you live here.

"Cassidy has got the perfect body! I swear, man, those curves will make you go crazy. She lost so much weight! You won't even believe it's her when you see her!" Jordan keeps saying. I want to get mad and tell him that curves shouldn't be the only thing he should see in a girl but I'm Gale and I'm the most popular kid in school and I'm a quarterback and I shouldn't be saying things that will make me seem less cool.

Then, I think about dad and I know he would have wanted me to stand up for Cassidy even though I don't know her well enough to know if she would care or not. I try to put dad's voice in the back of my brain and leave him there. He's gone, don't think about him.

The bell rings and a girl with long brown hair walks in. Her eyes travel the room, searching for an empty chair and she has to end up taking the only chair which is always the last one free, the one in front of the teacher's desk.

"Hey man, that's the new girl." Jordan whispers to me.

"You know her?" I ask.

"Kate said the new girl went up to her today and asked where the guidance counsellor was." Jordan shrugs and starts talking about the Cassidy's hips and curves but I zone out and just nod and smile every so often to make it seem like I give a damn about what he says.

Mr. Schwarz is the most annoying mathematics teacher anyone could ever ask for. He talks in a deep monotone voice. He doesn't even write anything on the black board. He just talks and talks and talks and tells us to flip through pages of our boring math book. At some point, I think listening to Jordan talk about girls would be more interesting than this but then I change my mind. I don't even like Jordan. I wonder why I still consider him my best friend.

"Mr. Ford?" I hear Mr. Schwarz call from the front of the room. I blink my eyes a few times to make sure I'm awake and he's actually calling my name.

"Mr. Ford!" He repeats much louder this time.

"Y-yes, sir?" I stutter.

"Did I just hear Gale Ford stutter? Seems unlikely. Would you like to come to the front and repeat what I just said?" Mr. Schwarz says. He hates me. He always has. He's been my teacher since sophomore year and anytime he has the chance to humiliate me, he goes for it.

"Sir, with all due respect, you are the teacher here, not me. That's your job, not mine." I tell him and a few people laugh.

"It's only the first day and you've landed yourself in detention. After school. Four o'clock. See you there, Ford." Mr. Schwarz says before continuing with the discussion.

"Asshole." I whisper under my breath and continue zoning out.