4*

Waking up today felt more like being resurrected. As her mind was pulled from her slumbering heart, Ruby was forced to unglue her eyelids and face another day. Shivering as her feet hit the floor, today's outfit was tediously selected from the closet: t-shirt and shorts. Perfect for tackling the day like a 300 lb linebacker.

Hair done and shoes laced, Ruby grabbed the breakfast of champions from the cabinet. Poptarts.

Down the block, her chariot awaited. It was big, yellow, and full of demons more commonly known as underclassmen. Sometimes she wondered how she survived the 15 minute journey almost every day. Magic, probably.

Once arriving at school, classes blurred together in a gray whirlwind of battle scened. Impossible tests, grouchy teachers, a hamburger that was probably meat, and piles of homework all twisting together into an angry wad of stress and anxiety.

The bell rang promptly at 3:00 PM and Ruby emerged victorious into the sunlight. Her backpack was loaded down with homework, but it was Friday. She could go out and reach for the sky all weekend before being called back into the gray squalor of classes.

The bus ride home felt more like time travel. From school to home in only an instant. Thanking the bus driver, her savior for this and every school fay, ruby rummages through her bag for her key to gain entrance to the locked house.

The evening was spent in lavish laziness. Reading fantastic books, watching tv with hardly a though of worry over wasted time, comfort food in the form of a bowl of Spaghetti-O's, and later, a scented bubble bath fir for a princess.

Sleep came like an old friend.

Tomorrow, Ruby would conquer the world.