9

"No. You need to make a decision." 

I don't know why she's yelling at me. It's not like this is a small decision. The rest of my life could look completely different based on the outcome. I don't need her in my face when all I'm asking for is her outlook on the situation. "I don't why you're yelling at me!" I yell, aware of the irony.

"Because you're my best friend and I'm not helping you make this choice. What do you  want, Eric?"

"I want to spend the rest of my life with him, but I also want you and I to be friends during that time too. So, I thought you'd like some imput. "

"And what if I say no, huh?" Kendall asks fiercely. "What then? What if I say hell no, he's terrible for you and your relationship is all a big mistake?" She looks me dead in the eye, challenging me to speak up for myself.

She sees the heartbreak in my eyes, but doesn't back down. This decision needs to be mine. She knows this. 

After a tense few seconds, I look away. 

"Unbelievable!" Kendall exclaims, turning away with a frustrated flail of her arms. 

"Look, Ken, I want to do this, but I don't know if I could if you weren't on board." I'm still not looking at her. 

She sits on the couch and is silent.

"Ok, fine," I say. "I love him more than anything but you should know..." I trail off. "You know what? Never mind. Screw you, Kendall! You're being ridiculous and I'm doing it with or without your approval. 

I slam the door on the way out. 

From the window, Kendall watches me leave, a proud smile washing her face. 

I don't look back. I'm off to ask my boyfriend to marry me.