10*

You toss in your coin, eyes closed, wishing as hard as you can. As soon as it leaves your fingers, your eyes snap open and you watch the penny spin end over glinting end into the well. It falls for the span of three heartbeats before hitting water with a tiny plop.

There, done. You've made your wish into the only well that really matters. The only legit wishing well. Of course, you know it can't do any major granting. Wealth, power, love, life, death, changing the past, changing the present, the list goes on and on. But, it can do simple things.

You sit down on the cool, damp sidewalk and lean your back against stones of the well. A small awning protects the well, and its framework holds the pulley that operates the water bucket. It doesn't provide much protection, but for the most part you're out of the rain.

As you wait for your wish, you gaze at the sky, gray and depressing. You notice there's hardly anyone else in the park. You must look a little crazy sitting in the middle of a sodden park.

Just then, a thin crack of light begins to spread across the sky in brilliant contrast to the monochromatic gray rain clouds. A smile begins to grow across your face as the strip of light widens, chasing away the rain.

Within minutes, the rain is gone and the clouds are puffy, white, and all-around happier. Sunshine bathes the soggy park in gentle warmth, creating a fine mist at your ankles.

You stand up and continue your walk around the park in a much better mood. Maybe the wishing well can't being you wealth, power, love, life, or death. It can do simple things. So, you tossed in a coin and wished for something simple.

A sunny day.

Your wish had been granted.