CH 2 | Nerd

I slowly sneak up to his room, carefully putting down my foot as I take each step. I tip-toe inside, cautious not make any noise. I walk across to his bedside table.

It's late at night, and my stepdad is asleep, snoring loudly.

I carefully grab the letter from the bedside table and walk back to my room.

Mission accomplished.

I sigh in relief, as I carefully tip-toe back in the living room.

After closing the door, there I decide to yell happily. In my mind of course. With relief and happiness, I walk back upstairs and to where my room is. Immediately, I jump on my bed and excitedly open the letter.

It read:

Hi Avery,

It's your dad.
I hope you're alright.
How's school going?
Did you make any friends?
I'm sure you did, princess.

What!? He still calls me princess. Embarrassing, but anyway...

"Everything is fine here. Angela is having fun in her new school, and Sam is still upset that school had started. Cecilia has been really helpful with house chores, even though she's been quite busy these days with movies and stuff. And me. I miss you princess.

I know your stepdad doesn't want you to come here, so I thought at least we can communicate through letters.
Please do reply.

Your father xxx."

I wanna shout out loud to him, "I miss you too!" A tear trickles down my cheek. I wish I could meet him. I wish...

I stand up and walk out towards the window. As I roam around looking at nature's view. A thought came to me; I wonder if there's another world out there, where everything was perfect.

Just how it was meant to be.

Ugh! What am I talking? Rubbish! There's no such thing like that. I quickly changed into my pj's. School tomorrow. What a sad thought to end the day.

***

I quickly pack my bag and go downstairs to eat breakfast. The delicious smell of scrambled eggs fills the living room. Surprisingly, it seems as though he was kind enough to give me something for today.

I go over to the kitchen. My stepdad is sitting on the couch, quietly reading the newspaper. "Can I eat breakfast now?" I asked nervously. I'm starving from last night!

"Yes, but make sure that what happened last night doesn't happen again," He ended his statement with a sigh.

"Okay," I replied obediently as I stuff the food in my mouth.

The scrambled eggs were so good! My stepdad probably bought it from the market. Well, at least it's a good start to the day. For now.

I walk out the door, shutting it behind me. I always catch a bus to school. My stepdad can probably drop me but he says he's too busy. As if. He probably just goes drinking or something with his friends.

It'd make sense why he'd come home drunk from time to time.

I walk down the crowded streets of LA attempting to block the hot and bright sun from my light brown eyes.

Anyway, school is worse than my stepdad. I don't have any friends, and, well, I'm basically a loner. You know those nerdy loners who sit in the library hiding from everyone, yeah... that's me.

The reason behind that is 'cause I just got transferred to a new school as we shifted into a new house, and it was too far from my old school. So, with no other options left, I simply had to move. That's why I am a loner. I sit alone in the cafeteria, stuffing the disgusting thing, the chef's call "food".

Yep, that's me.

I walk through the giant gates of my school and into the corridor. I walk towards my locker and start getting my french file out.

Oui, french first up.

Suddenly, I see Jake the nerd come up to his locker, which is located beside mine.

"Oh, um, hi," He stuttered shyly, adjusting his nerdy-looking glasses.

"Eh, hi," I replied awkwardly, whilst I tried to pull off a smile.

The thing is, I absolutely hate Jake! Jake's the school's biggest nerd - though, we did use to be friends. Our mothers knew each other since childhood, so we'd visit each other's houses.

But then suddenly, one day he invited me to dinner and asked me if I liked him.

I obviously thought he was joking, so I burst out laughing. He started tearing up out of nowhere and started to confess his love for me. He, later on, went on ranting about how I broke his heart and such. Stuff I can barely remember now.

First of all, we weren't even dating. Second of all, we were just friends. I don't even know where he got the idea from!

All of that happened when I still attended my old school, and then when I transferred to this school, he, strangely enough, followed me.

That's why he's here.

He started following me around the school and everybody started teasing me about him. That's why I hate him! Ughh!

Jake... Jake the nerd.

***

Well...how was this chapter?? Hope u liked it. Anyway, please vote and comment. I really appreciate it and thanks for reading!

Love u guys xxx 💖