11. Statuses

Being suspended is extremely boring. In high school it always seemed like it would be so fun, staying home, sleeping in, watching bad daytime television and of course I get to do all that but I'm bored out of my mind.

I check the time on my phone again and it's still only a little past one. I grab my laptop from the coffee table and open it up, waiting for it to wake up and then I click onto Amazon. I search for vet costumes and after about a half hour I find three that I think Emma will like. I add them all the cart and remind myself to show them to Emma tonight so I can order the one she wants.

Now it's almost two but I still have a little under an hour to kill so I click onto Facebook. I scroll through my newsfeed and find nothing new. Pictures of Lily, Farkle and Smackle being cute, people complaining about it being Monday, the usual. But suddenly a thought forms in my head and before I can stop myself I'm typing Andrew's name into the search bar. I find his profile in under ten seconds.

Andrew Baker

Still in the hospital. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers. Callie Samuels and Dylan Baker have definitely kept me strong.

I bite my lip contemplating clicking the names. They're highlighted which means with one click I can have access to their profiles. I can't help myself. I click Callie's first.

Callie Samuels

Never take second chances for granted.

I roll my eyes at the status. It's sweet but after knowing the woman for years I have a hard time taking it at face value. I send a quick prayer that I'm wrong and Callie really has changed. The rest of her profile is swamped with people badgering her about Drew, including Josh. I see their exchange and a twinge of jealousy flares up inside me.

Josh Matthews

I was thinking of visiting...what hospital?

Callie Samuels

I think he'd like that. I'll inbox you :)

I quickly exit out of her page and take a deep breath. Josh is marrying me. He's over Callie. He's just worried about his friend. I say it like a mantra in my head until the room stops spinning. When everything straightens out I click on Dylan's name.

Dylan Baker

When I prayed for my family to come back together this wasn't what I had in mind. I love you dad! x

The simple status update resonates with me. Of course I have no idea what he's going though in specific terms but the status is the status of a boy who just realized that hope is for suckers and the thought makes me sad. No family should have to go through this. I quickly slam my laptop shut and I don't even realize there are tears in my eyes until I try to check the time. I wipe my eyes and compose myself before standing up and grabbing my keys.

*************************************************************************************

"Hey mommy" Emma exclaims as she climbs in the car. "I made you something" she smiles as she hands me a piece of paper. It's a heart colored haphazardly all out of the lines. I can't hide my smile as I look back at my beaming daughter.

"Thank you baby girl" I smile as I place the picture in the seat beside me. "Buckle up so we can get home" I add and she does as I ask, settling in the backseat while I pull out of the parking lot. We both sing along to the radio the whole ride home and once she sees Josh's car in the spot beside ours in the lot she unbuckles and rushes out of the car.

I laugh as I follow her into the building, she's too fast so by the time I reach the loft the door is wide open and Josh is holding our daughter in his arms asking her about her day.

"Hey gorgeous" he smiles as he walks over to me, leaning down to kiss me. "Your eyes are a little red baby. You okay?" he asks and I nod my head.

"Fine" I assure him as I close the door and make my way to the kitchen. Josh eyes me expectantly as he places Emma down onto the floor. He tells her to go play as he makes his way over to me.

"You've been crying. I know that because I've been the reason behind a lot of your tears so you can't lie to me. What's wrong?" he asks bluntly.

"I was stalking Drew and the rest of the family on Facebook. Dylan's post just got to me" I shrug and Josh sighs as he walks over to me, pulling me into his arms as he buries his face in my hair.

"You sure that's it?" he asks and I laugh. Nothing is funny of course but the fact that he knows me so well still throws me off sometimes.

"You talked to her" I whisper and he nods.

"I did."

"You said you talked to Drew" I reply and he nods.

"I know" he admits and I shake my head.

"Why lie Josh?"

"Because I didn't want to upset you. We don't have a good history with her Maya" he adds and I laugh.

"No kidding Josh."

"I feel like we're fighting because we keep using each other's names at the end of statements. Are we fighting?" he asks and I shake my head.

"Not if you're gonna be honest with me. I don't want you being there for Drew to tear down what we've built in the last five years" I explain and Josh nods as he pulls me back against him.

"I'm not going anywhere Maya. I promise. It's you. It'll never be anyone else" he assures me as he pulls back to look at me. "Only you" he repeats as his lips land on mine.

"Kid in the room" Emma exclaims making us pull apart laughing.

"Sorry kiddo" Josh smiles as he picks her up, placing her on the counter. "Wanna help make dinner?"

"Yea" she smiles excitedly. "Mac and cheese" she insists making Josh and I laugh.

"Sounds perfect" I agree and just like that everything falls back into place.